A guaranteed win - My first Game Thread ever - Sea/Chi

D-train

Re: A guaranteed win - My first Game Thread ever - Sea/Chi

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:32 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:17 pm
Yes Chicago is pretty far from the coast, but isn't it just inside the Eastern time zone?
No.
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:40 pm

Yes Chicago is pretty far from the coast, but isn't it just inside the Eastern time zone?
It turns out, capricious start times have much to do with broadcasting issues, when it's best to attract crowds, and sometimes local regulations:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html

And FWIW, Chicago is technically in the Central Time zone, but just barely (sorry, D-Train, I wouldn't say that it is "firmly" in it - but Minneapolis is).

https://www.nationsonline.org/maps/USA/ ... es-map.jpg

My original working hypothesis wasn't that far fetched. The half hour broadcasting disparity in the Maritime provinces is really a thing, and looking at a map shows Chicago on the far eastern end of CTZ. But I guess it doesn't explain the game start times after all. Hypothesis rejected.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:46 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:04 pm
Is Wong still on the team?
That tag at second base last night is a reaccuring nightmare. Wong was out by about 20 ft

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:31 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:40 pm
It turns out, capricious start times have much to do with broadcasting issues, when it's best to attract crowds, and sometimes local regulations:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html

And FWIW, Chicago is technically in the Central Time zone, but just barely (sorry, D-Train, I wouldn't say that it is "firmly" in it - but Minneapolis is).

https://www.nationsonline.org/maps/USA/ ... es-map.jpg

My original working hypothesis wasn't that far fetched. The half hour broadcasting disparity in the Maritime provinces is really a thing, and looking at a map shows Chicago on the far eastern end of CTZ. But I guess it doesn't explain the game start times after all. Hypothesis rejected.
Almost 200 miles by car. Would you say Seattle is firmly in Washington or barely. :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:40 pm

dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:17 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:31 pm
Almost 200 miles by car. Would you say Seattle is firmly in Washington or barely. :)
Well, this seems like a weird position to double down on...especially since I already admitted my time zone hypothesis was wrong...but if you insist: Chicago is on the eastern edge of the Central Time Zone. No matter how dice and define "firmly", it's not firmly in it.

I am not sure how you got 200 miles, but I am guessing you Google-mapped it which, if true, likely means you chose a city on the eastern edge of central time zone. Driving there almost certainly means you have to drive south around Lake Michigan and then north again. Even so, from Chicago to New Carlisle Indiana (which is in the ETZ) is only 86 miles by car.

Moreover, the time zone divisions are not straight lines. If you got in a boat and headed due east from Chicago on Lake Michigan, you be in the ETZ in only 20 miles, as the crow flies.

Split the difference - let's say 40 miles from the ETZ line. At it's widest, the CTZ is about 1300 miles wide (from about Rugby, Tennessee to about Pecos, Texas). By my math, Chicago is only 3% inside the CTZ. I wouldn't call that firmly.

Chicago is so close to the ETZ (and so far north, relatively speaking), that there have been efforts to move it to the ETZ rather than leaving it in Central. And in fact it was historically moved there for a year, but business and the Chicago Stock Exchange refused to go with it, so they reverted.

https://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/de ... tern-time/

Anyhew...all of this makes it sound like a have a dog in the fight which I don't. I admitted my hypothesis was wrong. Justifiable, but wrong. But I still wouldn't say that Chicago was firmly in the Central Time Zone.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:22 pm

What you have to remember is that though Chicago IS just barely inside the Central Time Zone, many of it's fans come from rural areas and they sometimes have to cater to them, especially in the early games and late in the season. My guess, although just a guess, is that there are some technical reasons for the odd start time as well as issues with their fans. It does the farmers no good if they end the game at 11:00 when they have to get up at 3:30 to milk a cow or three.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:28 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:22 pm
It does the farmers no good if they end the game at 11:00 when they have to get up at 3:30 to milk a cow or three.
Indeed! :lol:

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:09 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:17 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:31 pm
Well, this seems like a weird position to double down on...especially since I already admitted my time zone hypothesis was wrong...but if you insist: Chicago is on the eastern edge of the Central Time Zone. No matter how dice and define "firmly", it's not firmly in it.

I am not sure how you got 200 miles, but I am guessing you Google-mapped it which, if true, likely means you chose a city on the eastern edge of central time zone. Driving there almost certainly means you have to drive south around Lake Michigan and then north again. Even so, from Chicago to New Carlisle Indiana (which is in the ETZ) is only 86 miles by car.

Moreover, the time zone divisions are not straight lines. If you got in a boat and headed due east from Chicago on Lake Michigan, you be in the ETZ in only 20 miles, as the crow flies.

Split the difference - let's say 40 miles from the ETZ line. At it's widest, the CTZ is about 1300 miles wide (from about Rugby, Tennessee to about Pecos, Texas). By my math, Chicago is only 3% inside the CTZ. I wouldn't call that firmly.

Chicago is so close to the ETZ (and so far north, relatively speaking), that there have been efforts to move it to the ETZ rather than leaving it in Central. And in fact it was historically moved there for a year, but business and the Chicago Stock Exchange refused to go with it, so they reverted.

https://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/de ... tern-time/

Anyhew...all of this makes it sound like a have a dog in the fight which I don't. I admitted my hypothesis was wrong. Justifiable, but wrong. But I still wouldn't say that Chicago was firmly in the Central Time Zone.
Sure, I guess I meant firmly because I have known it has been in the CTZ since I started following M's games in 1977 when Ralph Garr and Chet Lemon were on the White Sox and knew the games started at about 5:30 instead of 4:30 like in Boston NYC and Baltimore...And it is about 1000 miles west of those cities.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:12 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:22 pm
What you have to remember is that though Chicago IS just barely inside the Central Time Zone, many of it's fans come from rural areas and they sometimes have to cater to them, especially in the early games and late in the season. My guess, although just a guess, is that there are some technical reasons for the odd start time as well as issues with their fans. It does the farmers no good if they end the game at 11:00 when they have to get up at 3:30 to milk a cow or three.
I have relatives that owned a Dairy farm in Enumclaw. One cousin got up at 3am and milked the couple hundred cows until noon and then the other started at 3pm and milked until midnight. 7 days a week. When one of them visited me he said he was so tired at finishing at midnight he either ate or took a shower didn't have the energy to do both. But Jerry needs to DH guys every few days after playing a baseball game so they can rest. lol
dt