Anti-Israel Protesters Block Golden Gate Bridge

D-train

Re: Anti-Israel Protesters Block Golden Gate Bridge

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:43 pm

gil wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:08 pm
Haven't there been calls for violence against Jews on the Columbia campus? To me that seems much worse than blocking a freeway.
Good point but that isn't why it is getting all the news coverage though that is being covered.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:05 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:43 pm
gil wrote:
Haven't there been calls for violence against Jews on the Columbia campus? To me that seems much worse than blocking a freeway.
Good point but that isn't why it is getting all the news coverage though that is being covered.
Why is it getting all the news coverage?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:21 pm

gil wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:05 pm
D-train wrote:
gil wrote:
Because there are massive protests and sit ins on a lot of the most famous college campuses in the country and people are getting arrested. But it is mainly for trespassing which isn't a violent crime.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:41 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:28 am
Again, it's not about persuasion, it's about disruption. You're not trying to change minds, your trying to change actions. And even though it can be unpopular it's considered to be pretty effective actually.

This from an article on the climate protests in england, they involve blocking traffic.
Another respondent, Prof Bart Cammaerts, professor of politics and communication at the London School of Economics, said: “Whether we like it or not, the history of social change is also a history of political contestation and disruption. Disruption of everyday life is often the best way to receive media attention, generate visibility for a cause and above all to push political and economic elites to compromise and accept change, if only to protect their own interests.”

But disruption was not a tactic that could be relied on by all causes, the experts said. While about seven in 10 said movements that have high public awareness and support, such as climate crisis organisations, could enjoy its fruits, only 30% thought disruptive tactics were effective for issues with high awareness but low support, such as anti-vaccination
I don't know what exactly the protesters goal was, I think you need specific goals. It would seem to me the palestine issue would fall in the less effective high awareness low support
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... xperts-say
Assembly Member Stacey Pheffer Amato, a conservative Democrat whose district covers parts of southern Queens, introduced a bill last month that would amend the state’s penal law to expand the definition of “domestic terrorism” to include blocking a public road, bridge, transportation facility or tunnel.
Oh yeah I am sure the UK climate disruption protests had a huge impact on Global Climate Change. Their share of CO2 emissions is infinitesimal.

Its just a bunch of losers with no purpose in life trying to feel like they are doing something important...

Screenshot 2024-04-20 1.38.30 PM.png
So an activist not changing the world is a loser. What i thought conservative Republicans grasped so effectively was the value of incremental change. They focused on local politics where the democrats could only interest their donors was the national stage. Republicans went about change one state at a time

gil

Post by gil » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:21 pm
gil wrote:
D-train wrote:

Because there are massive protests and sit ins on a lot of the most famous college campuses in the country and people are getting arrested. But it is mainly for trespassing which isn't a violent crime.
Regarding the protesters' encampment, the Columbia's president said it “severely disrupts campus life, and creates a harassing and intimidating environment for many of our students.” She called in NYC police last Thursday to clear it, and 106 people were arrested. Some students were also suspended by the university. https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/1 ... s-00153175

Today however it seems that the NYPD is staying outside the campus perimeter, although in large numbers. They are going in only if someone is in danger.

Maybe we are re-living 1968.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:09 pm

gil wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:12 pm
D-train wrote:
gil wrote:

Regarding the protesters' encampment, the Columbia's president said it “severely disrupts campus life, and creates a harassing and intimidating environment for many of our students.” She called in NYC police last Thursday to clear it, and 106 people were arrested. Some students were also suspended by the university. https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/1 ... s-00153175

Today however it seems that the NYPD is staying outside the campus perimeter, although in large numbers. They are going in only if someone is in danger.

This thing is really blowing up. Might make the George Floyd riots look like a minor disruption when it is all said and done. Jewish People are generally Dems. I wonder if this will change.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:12 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:41 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:28 am
Again, it's not about persuasion, it's about disruption. You're not trying to change minds, your trying to change actions. And even though it can be unpopular it's considered to be pretty effective actually.

This from an article on the climate protests in england, they involve blocking traffic.

I don't know what exactly the protesters goal was, I think you need specific goals. It would seem to me the palestine issue would fall in the less effective high awareness low support
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... xperts-say

Oh yeah I am sure the UK climate disruption protests had a huge impact on Global Climate Change. Their share of CO2 emissions is infinitesimal.

Its just a bunch of losers with no purpose in life trying to feel like they are doing something important...

Screenshot 2024-04-20 1.38.30 PM.png
So an activist not changing the world is a loser. What i thought conservative Republicans grasped so effectively was the value of incremental change. They focused on local politics where the democrats could only interest their donors was the national stage. Republicans went about change one state at a time
Activists are losers. People who think they need to piss people off to initiate change are. They go with Cavemen tactics instead of intellectual debate and sophisticated methodologies.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:40 pm

noun
plural noun: activists
a person who campaigns to bring about political or social change
Activisim isn't any particular tactic. The folks that worked to get Roe vs Wade overturned were activists. If you actively are promoting the belief system of Donald trump then you are an activist. And part of it is pissing people off. Don't tell me maga's don't ever try to piss anybody off

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:29 pm

dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:09 pm
gil wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:12 pm
D-train wrote:

This thing is really blowing up. Might make the George Floyd riots look like a minor disruption when it is all said and done. Jewish People are generally Dems. I wonder if this will change.
It seems to be really fracturing the Democratic Party right now. All the Democrat "establishment" types are pro-Israel, while the progressives and younger people are showing up in various shades: (a) caring about the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, (b) condemning Israel's strategy with respect to Palestinians, both in Gaza and regarding the West Bank settlements, and (c) chanting "from the river to the sea" and questioning Israel's right to exist. Right now, this is all bad news for democrats on tight races.