Re: Tucker/Vivek on The Hill - EPIC commentary on Corruption

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:43 pm

gil wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:25 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:44 pm
gil wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:29 pm
What happens when the Department of Education is eliminated? Massive hit to school revenues all over the country. Local taxes go up or budgets for schools go down. Or am I missing something?

Oh, and "parents controlling what is taught"? Parents can control what is taught when parents foot the entire bill for K-12 education. I have no kids and I don't want to turn over education to parents as long as I'm paying thousands of dollars in property tax each year for their kids. I want experts, and yes, that includes people with education degrees who are administrators.
If you eliminate the Dept. of Ed all that money you waste paying bureaucrats to do nothing goes to fund the schools...

Problem is a lot of the "experts" are far left loons hell bent on indoctrination instead of education.
Don't you need an "organization" (in the original sense, bureaucracy) to distribute the money?

A friend of mine is an education professor, and I asked her about indoctrination. She just about spit out her wine. She said that her Marxist students stay Marxists, and her Trump supporting student stay Trump supporters. She said that their job (in their certificate and graduate programs) is to prepare professionals who help their own students learn.
Sounds like she is working with older less impressionable students....
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:28 pm

Let's get real....

My kids just completed college and they had plenty of professors that you needed to write about what the professors wanted to hear. My oldest what never received a "B" in high school got his first "C" in an English class that he wrote a 5 page paper about how the 2nd Amendment has kept America free, and it's impact on todays society. The professor didn't agree because she was a screaming liberal. She red-marked up the paper the way a liberal gun-hating bitch would have....with no concept of the intent of the 2nd Amendment.

The board of education knows all this, but deny it pretty hard.

No doubt your wine-drinking friend would say that the Trump supporters still support Trump, and the Biden supporters still support Biden, but what about all the middle students.....which way are they leaning after that class.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:17 pm

Apparently I didn't get the memo, but should a professor not set aside her liberal views and grade the paper objectively?

Differing views or moral superiority should never determine someone's grade.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:00 am

Late to this, and I could be misreading but... Dept of Ed doesn't set curriculum. Curriculum generally is set by the local school boards. And parents can be as involved as they want to be, go to the meetings, to running for a seat on the board. USA is noted for that, local control of curriculum. Much of the rest of the world is centrally controlled. I also don't believe the Dept is funding schools. It offers grants and loans to individual students

If this is off topic, nevermind

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:22 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:00 am
Late to this, and I could be misreading but... Dept of Ed doesn't set curriculum. Curriculum generally is set by the local school boards. And parents can be as involved as they want to be, go to the meetings, to running for a seat on the board. USA is noted for that, local control of curriculum. Much of the rest of the world is centrally controlled. I also don't believe the Dept is funding schools. It offers grants and loans to individual students

If this is off topic, nevermind
Seems to be all completely redundant hog wash which could all be handled by the states. Just have a handful of employees that wire out the funds to the states every year.
What Is the U.S. Department of Education?
The U.S. Department of Education is the agency of the federal government that establishes policy for, administers and coordinates most federal assistance to education. It assists the president in executing his education policies for the nation and in implementing laws enacted by Congress. The Department's mission is to serve America's students-to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.

In 2007-08, the Department's elementary and secondary school programs served approximately 55 million students (pre-K through grade 12) attending some 100,000 public schools and 34,000 private schools. Department programs also provided grant, loan and work-study assistance to about 10 million undergraduate students. *

When Congress created the Department in 1979, it declared these purposes:

to strengthen the Federal commitment to ensuring access to equal educational opportunity for every individual;
to supplement and complement the efforts of States, the local school systems and other instrumentalities of the States, the private sector, public and private educational institutions, public and private nonprofit educational research institutions, community-based organizations, parents, and students to improve the quality of education;
to encourage the increased involvement of the public, parents, and students in Federal education programs;
to promote improvements in the quality and usefulness of education through federally supported research, evaluation, and sharing of information;
to improve the coordination of Federal education programs;
to improve the management and efficiency of Federal education activities, especially with respect to the process, procedures, and administrative structures for the dispersal of Federal funds, as well as the reduction of unnecessary and duplicative burdens and constraints, including unnecessary paperwork, on the recipients of Federal funds; and
to increase the accountability of Federal education programs to the President, the Congress and the public. (Section 102, Public Law 96-88)
Instead the waste billions on bureaucracy.

Department of Education (ED) | Spending Profile

USAspending (.gov)
https://www.usaspending.gov › agency › department-...
Each year federal agencies receive funding from Congress, known as budgetary resources . In FY 2023, the Department of Education (ED) had $269.73 Billion
dt

gil

Post by gil » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:45 pm

I'm of two minds on this. On one hand, if it's just a matter of passing money through from the US Treasury to the states, why bother? Get rid of even the relatively small number of employees if would take to wire funds. No federal funds for education.

On the other hand, are there policy goals the Dept of Education works toward? Such as making college affordable through loans, or setting minimum goals for K-12 education. (I seem to recall "No child left behind" from the George W. Bush administration.)

Selfishly? Where I live, we have great public schools, and the community is wealthy enough to pay for them without breaking a sweat. But other places and people are not so fortunate, and I support having funding (from outside those poorer communities) to support education. I think that is one purpose that a federate Dept of Education should serve.

Why? Because we need educated people for the future of this country, and I don't think we should just rely on "importing" them from Europe or China. Overall, the US is decidedly NOT the best education system in the world, and we should be. We have too many kids who are not living up to their potential because of it. I want the kids in the poorer, "deep red" parts of West Virginia or Arkansas to have the same opportunities as kids in "deep blue" Seattle.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:29 pm

I'm gonna guess the Dept was created in response to the fear American education was falling behind the rest of the world. There are 13,000 separate school districts. I can see having some central coordination, policy setting as a good thing.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:52 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:17 pm
Apparently I didn't get the memo, but should a professor not set aside her liberal views and grade the paper objectively?

Differing views or moral superiority should never determine someone's grade.
When my kid went to college, I told her to write whatever the professor wanted. They hold these kids captive and can ruin a career before it even gets started. That's why they can state, in class, that math is racist!

"Overall, the US is decidedly NOT the best education system in the world, and we should be. We have too many kids who are not living up to their potential because of it. I want the kids in the poorer, "deep red" parts of West Virginia or Arkansas to have the same opportunities as kids in "deep blue" Seattle."

You do understand that when we had the States funding the schools, over 80% of the taxes collected for education went to the in-state schools? Now, of the taxes collected for education by the Fed, only about 10% of the money comes back to the states. The other 90% goes to funding the bureaucrats in the Department of Education.

gil

Post by gil » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:03 pm

From 20 years ago ...
Attachments
doonesbury.jpg

gil

Post by gil » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:05 pm

Do you have a citation for this? I don't think it's possible.
Now, of the taxes collected for education by the Fed, only about 10% of the money comes back to the states. The other 90% goes to funding the bureaucrats in the Department of Education.