Does BWags want to get JS fired?

D-train

Re: Does BWags want to get JS fired?

Post by D-train » Tue May 28, 2019 2:52 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 pm
too much risk to just 'pay the man.' He's getting to that age where injuries can creep in and linger - can't have $18 million sitting on the bench.
How many people think Belichick would "just pay the man?" He wouldn't, and yet they'll survive and go to another SB. Love Wags, but let him play out the season, tag him once, let him move on at 32. he will become diminishing returns and you smart teams don't strap themselves into that cap situation. People just seem to always dismiss the risk factor for the sake of sentimentality. Sentimentality doesn't win titles - ask the Patriots about that, and that is not a knock on Wags.

Why does this thread title suggest Wags would want to get JS fired? Why would that ever be the case? That's like a CNN level attention grabber. There is no evidence of any rift between them, so why would he want to get him fired? I don't get that at all. Totally misleading headline.
Hey, it worked! You clicked on it. :) Obviously he doesn't want to get him fired, just saying if he expects JS to do something stupid he is going to be disappointed. I will try and dumb it down for you next time. :P
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 28, 2019 2:54 pm

As Stone says, the easy out is giving him a contract with a higher AAV than Mosely's but a shorter term.
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue May 28, 2019 3:47 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Name a defender(or top player) Belichick has had the level of Wagner that he didn't pay? If the Patriots had Wagner they would write the check. That simple. The drop off in play if they let Wagner walk would be catastrophic. Hawks and Wagner both know this.
Not quite the same level of dominance, but no slouch either - had Chandler Jones in his prime as a premier pass rusher, a position most consider of more importance than MLB. Also traded Jamie Collins to Cleveland rather than pay him. Understandably let Darrelle Revis go after Malcolm Butler's SB heroics and just now let Tre Flowers walk to Detroit despite having very little other pass rush option.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue May 28, 2019 4:10 pm

57reasons wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:47 pm
ThePro wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Name a defender(or top player) Belichick has had the level of Wagner that he didn't pay? If the Patriots had Wagner they would write the check. That simple. The drop off in play if they let Wagner walk would be catastrophic. Hawks and Wagner both know this.
Not quite the same level of dominance, but no slouch either - had Chandler Jones in his prime as a premier pass rusher, a position most consider of more importance than MLB. Also traded Jamie Collins to Cleveland rather than pay him. Understandably let Darrelle Revis go after Malcolm Butler's SB heroics and just now let Tre Flowers walk to Detroit despite having very little other pass rush option.
You did say level of dominance. Only one of those players is a 4 time 1st team All Pro. Revis was on the downside of his career a rent a player. Any player that makes the defensive calls like Wagner will always be considered more important than a pass rusher. Any talk of letting Wagner go is ridiculous . Its not going to happen.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue May 28, 2019 4:17 pm

i will go with that...
When asked about Wagner’s future with the team, Carroll simply said: “Bobby’s going to be a Seahawk.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:17 pm
i will go with that...
When asked about Wagner’s future with the team, Carroll simply said: “Bobby’s going to be a Seahawk.”
Would love to see ET's reaction to that. lol
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue May 28, 2019 5:31 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:24 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:17 pm
i will go with that...
Would love to see ET's reaction to that. lol
They would have signed Earl if it wasn't for that Dallas locker room crap.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue May 28, 2019 5:35 pm

The league's most idiotic team, the Jets, resetting the market because they have no other way of attracting players, does not mean the Seahawks need follow their lead. This is why the Jets are the Jets and the Seahawks are a wildly successful franchise under their current leadership. I expect Wags to remain with the team, but I do not think they reset the market. They don't have to. It's one thing to negotiate with people you have known your whole career, versus going out on the open market and dealing with the unknown. No need to go over 15mm IMO.

Again, the risk factor needs to be considered - by both sides. There will always be a team that will over pay - Seattle just doesn't do that - and you cannot argue with their success rate. Pats are the exact same way. Zero need to set a new precedent for a (great) dude about to turn 30.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue May 28, 2019 7:07 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:35 pm
The league's most idiotic team, the Jets, resetting the market because they have no other way of attracting players, does not mean the Seahawks need follow their lead. This is why the Jets are the Jets and the Seahawks are a wildly successful franchise under their current leadership. I expect Wags to remain with the team, but I do not think they reset the market. They don't have to. It's one thing to negotiate with people you have known your whole career, versus going out on the open market and dealing with the unknown. No need to go over 15mm IMO.

Again, the risk factor needs to be considered - by both sides. There will always be a team that will over pay - Seattle just doesn't do that - and you cannot argue with their success rate. Pats are the exact same way. Zero need to set a new precedent for a (great) dude about to turn 30.
Wish in one hand and s*** in the other and see which one fills up first. Wagner is getting his money. He's 28. Won't be 30 for another two years.