Stone on the debacle

mostonmike

Re: Stone on the debacle

Post by mostonmike » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:56 pm

It’s really quite simple, sometimes a manager is faced with a call that is a pure gamble. Once the bullpen failed to close it out, there became more and more desperation as Michael and Captain pointed out. That desperation reached a point where his decisions were just like a roll of the die.

EVERY SINGLE option at the time had an element of jeopardy and could have lost the game. You have nothing to gain if you are right and everything to lose if you are wrong.

It reached a crapshoot and we lost. We could easily have been celebrating a win.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:00 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:56 pm
It’s really quite simple, sometimes a manager is faced with a call that is a pure gamble. Once the bullpen failed to close it out, there became more and more desperation as Michael and Captain pointed out. That desperation reached a point where his decisions were just like a roll of the die.

EVERY SINGLE option at the time had an element of jeopardy and could have lost the game. You have nothing to gain if you are right and everything to lose if you are wrong.

It reached a crapshoot and we lost. We could easily have been celebrating a win.
Yep, and if Sewald or Munoz don't suck? We are celebrating a win. Two guys that have been in that role all year blew it.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:41 pm
SS answers Divish's question about it.
Ask general questions, get general answers.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:35 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Well? When we had that lead and Munoz out for the 8th, didn't you feel good about things? I did, for a few minutes anyway. Isn't that the process? Get a lead and hand it over to the pen?

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:45 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:35 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
D-train wrote:
Well? When we had that lead and Munoz out for the 8th, didn't you feel good about things? I did, for a few minutes anyway. Isn't that the process? Get a lead and hand it over to the pen?
Yep, but not to a guy who was put there because he was bad in the rotation.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:51 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:35 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
D-train wrote:
No, not really. I was actually quite pessimistic because I knew Sewald was coming in in the 9th and hasn't been pitching well in the last couple weeks, so I felt Munoz had zero room for error. But once I saw Munoz missing his marks I shared that same sinking feeling that the fan TBS kept panning to did.

I think it would be more interesting to hear Divish ask a very specific question to SS in regards to the pitch sequencing with RR on the mound. Asking SS his thought process is only going to get a canned answer.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:01 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:51 pm

I think it would be more interesting to hear Divish ask a very specific question to SS in regards to the pitch sequencing with RR on the mound. Asking SS his thought process is only going to get a canned answer.
To me, that is the bigger issue. Who decided after seeing Alvarez just miss the first fastball, to go back to the same pitch in basically the same spot? His first swing scared the shit out of me. I think he actually swung harder at that pitch then the second one, but on the second one he was certainly sitting dead red. I don't call pitches at this level, but I promise you, I wouldn't have gone back to the well after that swing. He was ALL OVER IT. I told my son that, was like, "we just caught a break because that didn't fool him at all." We took that break and shit on it by calling the same fucking pitch. Surprises me that no one, not Cal, Robbie or SS have been asked why that pitch, again, in that spot. If they have been asked that question, I have not seen the answer.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:10 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:01 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:

To me, that is the bigger issue. Who decided after seeing Alvarez just miss the first fastball, to go back to the same pitch in basically the same spot? His first swing scared the shit out of me. I think he actually swung harder at that pitch then the second one, but on the second one he was certainly sitting dead red. I don't call pitches at this level, but I promise you, I wouldn't have gone back to the well after that swing. He was ALL OVER IT. I told my son that, was like, "we just caught a break because that didn't fool him at all." We took that break and shit on it by calling the same fucking pitch. Surprises me that no one, not Cal, Robbie or SS have been asked why that pitch, again, in that spot. If they have been asked that question, I have not seen the answer.
I bet Alvarez was shocked to see FB on the first pitch. But that could've been RR's advantage if he would've pitched slider down and inside to follow up that 0-1 FB. So if I'm Alvarez, and after seeing FB, I'm sitting on FB.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:12 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:01 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:

I think if Divish or anyone else asked this question they would get passed over for the rest of the season.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:21 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
D-train wrote:
Yeah, how can you call yourself a journalist and not ask the obvious follow up questions of "Why was that the plan?" Would be like asking Alec Baldwin what happened when he shot and killed the woman on the movie set and him saying, "An accident happened" and no follow up questions.
dt