Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:18 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:09 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:01 pm
Big_Maple wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:54 pm

It's what the Cascade Kid asked originally:

"I assume that if JD can't get rid of Winker before Friday via trade opportunity then they will DFA him to make room on the 40-man to take care of other business that must be tended to."
They aren't going to DFA him. They don't need roster spots that desperately and unless I'm missing something they don't need to make that decision until just before the Rule 5 draft. Or is there something here I'm not understanding about Friday?
I believe 5 eligible players need to be placed on the 40 man roster by next Tuesday, correct?
Will only be Berroa and Campbell imo. BPJ is a very young guy with WAY too much swing and miss to last a full big league season. Kuhn is a 24 yo dime a dozen BP arm with horrid control. Clase is a baby.
dt

D-train

Re: Winker good as gone?

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:19 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:
Big_Maple wrote:

"I assume that if JD can't get rid of Winker before Friday via trade opportunity then they will DFA him to make room on the 40-man to take care of other business that must be tended to."
They aren't going to DFA him. They don't need roster spots that desperately and unless I'm missing something they don't need to make that decision until just before the Rule 5 draft. Or is there something here I'm not understanding about Friday?
I believe 5 eligible players need to be placed on the 40 man roster by next Tuesday, correct?
All the info you need is in Divish's piece on the roster which I posted in the Hot Stove thread.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:21 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:41 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:52 am
So that's the general consensus, he's gone? I don't think I'm trading him. I mean unless I got a decent offer which I don't see happening. I'd rather gamble on his rebound than see another team benefit from it. And in terms of his teammates not liking him, that's a none issue. Doesn't concern me whether they like him or not.
"Decent offer" leaves so much room for interpretation.

A decent offer may be a team that offers to take 100% of Winker and Flexens salary, for example, freeing up $16M in payroll. That pays for half of Judges salary right there. Sounds like a decent offer..
I get what you are saying, but I am tired of talking about Money with this team. There is a luxory tax, not a fucking salary cap. We all act like they are losing money and need to find more. Fuck that, this ownership group needs to spend less, not trade away guys because they are saving money.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:23 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:
Big_Maple wrote:

Oh do they? I wasn't aware of that, but if you say so I'll go with it and assume you know what you're talking about.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:25 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:21 pm
bpj wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
So that's the general consensus, he's gone? I don't think I'm trading him. I mean unless I got a decent offer which I don't see happening. I'd rather gamble on his rebound than see another team benefit from it. And in terms of his teammates not liking him, that's a none issue. Doesn't concern me whether they like him or not.

A decent offer may be a team that offers to take 100% of Winker and Flexens salary, for example, freeing up $16M in payroll. That pays for half of Judges salary right there. Sounds like a decent offer..
I get what you are saying, but I am tired of talking about Money with this team. There is a luxory tax, not a fucking salary cap. We all act like they are losing money and need to find more. Fuck that, this ownership group needs to spend less, not trade away guys because they are saving money.
Ownership needs to spend less? I'm not sure I'm getting you with that one.

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:25 pm

Michael K. wrote:
bpj wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:

Definitely get and support your point. They do need to just open the wallet.

Buuuuuut, in my opinion, Dipoto was hired and promoted based on an opposite belief. That he could build a competitive roster without approaching a $200M payroll.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:26 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:25 pm
Michael K. wrote:
bpj wrote:

Ownership needs to spend less? I'm not sure I'm getting you with that one.
Oops, that should say spend more. Sorry.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:29 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:23 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:

Oh do they? I wasn't aware of that, but if you say so I'll go with it and assume you know what you're talking about.
https://theathletic.com/3740190/2022/10 ... decisions/

I appreciate you being 100% onboard with my opinion, but it wasn't really my opinion that I was sharing. However, I didn't disclose this either. But with that said, you know what they say about opinions...

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:30 pm

bpj wrote:

Buuuuuut, in my opinion, Dipoto was hired and promoted based on an opposite belief. That he could build a competitive roster without approaching a $200M payroll.
I sure hope that isn't the case, but there seems to be evidence to support it. The more I read stuff, especially from DT and you, it makes sense. Do you think their definition of "competitive" is what we just saw? Have a pretty good season, make the playoffs and not look like shit, but go home before the ALCS? I mean, I think there is a very good chance that we would have beaten the Yankees in the ALDS, but I don't see very many scenarios where I can say we are going to win a series over the Astros. And, as long as that is the case, we are always going to be competing for a Wild Card.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:33 pm

bpj wrote:
Michael K. wrote:
bpj wrote:

Yes, probably. But there could be some nuance there as well. My guess is that they're probably more concerned about long term payroll management than they are about the payroll in one or two particular seasons, and that's why they're not jumping to break the bank in both dollars and years for good but not great players, even though the conventional wisdom is that you need to overpay to get free agents to come here.