Winker good as gone?

D-train

Re: Winker good as gone?

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:49 pm

Feel like this WS has been going on for a month and a half. Just end it so we can start the offseason in earnest.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:49 pm

harmony wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:39 pm
At Lookout Landing*, providing a link: "The Red Sox have a bit of a Jesse Winker problem with outfielder Alex Verdugo. Chris Cotillo at MassLive wonders what the team will do with him."

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2022/11 ... stead.html

* https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2022/11/ ... rk-yankees
It doesn't sound really like a Jesse Winker problem at all, just more of a general disappointment that this player we got for Mookie Betts hasn't turned into the star we thought he would be. We don't hate him but we maybe don't love him all that much. But I have to say 39 doubles from a lefty batting outfielder is pretty interesting. Defense isn't great but not Jesse Winker levels of bad and sprint speed is average-ish (a bit below). You do wonder where the power is and why it hasn't shown itself yet, or if it ever will. His hard hit percentage was down a bit last year, but maybe that was related to the mush ball in the first part of the season? His ground ball percentage is a bit high as well. He's also pretty bad vs. lefty pitchers, though I think you could still play him.

He's going into his age-27 season, which an acquiring team could look at as a real plus hoping to catch one of his prime production years. It seems at least possible that you could see his HR production bust out for 2-4 years. I don't know if you count on it, but it could happen. Those doubles sure look interesting though.

I could see him as a DiPoto target. Even if the power doesn't come, there's enough there that you have a useful player.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:49 pm
Feel like this WS has been going on for a month and a half. Just end it so we can start the offseason in earnest.
:lol:

If it means the Phillies make an incredible comeback and beat the Asstros at home for the W.S. I can wait a few more days! :lol:
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:52 am

So that's the general consensus, he's gone? I don't think I'm trading him. I mean unless I got a decent offer which I don't see happening. I'd rather gamble on his rebound than see another team benefit from it. And in terms of his teammates not liking him, that's a none issue. Doesn't concern me whether they like him or not.

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:41 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:52 am
So that's the general consensus, he's gone? I don't think I'm trading him. I mean unless I got a decent offer which I don't see happening. I'd rather gamble on his rebound than see another team benefit from it. And in terms of his teammates not liking him, that's a none issue. Doesn't concern me whether they like him or not.
"Decent offer" leaves so much room for interpretation.

A decent offer may be a team that offers to take 100% of Winker and Flexens salary, for example, freeing up $16M in payroll. That pays for half of Judges salary right there. Sounds like a decent offer..

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:14 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:52 am
It isn't because he teammates don't like him. It is WHY they don't like him. For a team so obsessed with team chemistry they aren't going to keep a lazy weak ass clown in the clubhouse, especially a guy that just put up a replacement level season.

Some team in a hitter friendly park in need of a cheap DH will take a chance on rebound.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:30 pm

If the issue is his actually being a lazy clown it's interesting doing the trade in the first place, and on top of it buying out his arbitration. If the mariners are so concerned with chemistry nobody can bother to lift a finger to check the character of a player they are trading for?

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:40 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:30 pm
If the issue is his actually being a lazy clown it's interesting doing the trade in the first place, and on top of it buying out his arbitration. If the mariners are so concerned with chemistry nobody can bother to lift a finger to check the character of a player they are trading for?
The same team that locked up Evan White and Tried with JK……..

It’s possible they just are not as smart as you give them credit for

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:58 pm

Where did I give them any credit for being smart? They traded for him because they thought he could rake, and if he did then we are not having this conversation. I'm willing to gamble he will rebound and if he does then again nobody is complaining. That's why I believe it's a function of his raking, not what his teammates think

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:01 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:30 pm
Agree, pretty shocking. Maybe that is why they are hyper focused on it now. Also I am sure they were blinded by his stats in the thought that how did he have such a great year with the bat if he had work ethic issues.
dt