Sure and Lou was known for losing his temper, but I don't think thats the key to their success. I think its what fans like to see but in the end its not really an effective motivational tool
An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
-
Donn Beach
- Posts: 21121
- Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
Here's Jerry's idea of a bold move and upsetting the Apple cart.
dt
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
If letting go of Bobby was step one what the f*** was step two? And step three?
dt
-
Seattle or Bust
- Posts: 11967
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
And Servais'/Wilson's motivational tools worked far less than Lou's, did they not?Donn Beach wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:09 pmSure and Lou was known for losing his temper, but I don't think thats the key to their success. I think its what fans like to see but in the end its not really an effective motivational tool
They were 2x wet rags who couldn't get the train back on the tracks when it was clear the train fell off.
Lou... never would have let the train get off the tracks to begin with.
- Sibelius Hindemith
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 3:09 am
- Location: Seattle
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
This thread should be re-titled "what the Mariners would do if Jerry Dipoto wasn't a dishonest weasel".
-
Seattle or Bust
- Posts: 11967
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
The move also made no sense lol.
You try to prove a point by firing an assistant hitting coach? A guy nobody had heard of?
That is supposed to create urgency?
-
Seattle or Bust
- Posts: 11967
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
Personally, I do not understand how in today's era... OF ALL ERAS... that organizations believe player's managers are the answer.
There has never been less focus and accountability in sports than displayed by the coming generation of athletes, particularly in baseball.
I was listening to Puck who I believe was on with Bill Krueger... Krueger mentioned that Dan's blind spot lied in the fact that he was a very focused, self-motivated, self-preparing player himself. Bill said he believed Dan thought all players are like that and didn't know how to manage players who weren't.
News flash... there's a lot of guys in this era who need guidance. It's not 1995... the mindset has changed.
There has never been less focus and accountability in sports than displayed by the coming generation of athletes, particularly in baseball.
I was listening to Puck who I believe was on with Bill Krueger... Krueger mentioned that Dan's blind spot lied in the fact that he was a very focused, self-motivated, self-preparing player himself. Bill said he believed Dan thought all players are like that and didn't know how to manage players who weren't.
News flash... there's a lot of guys in this era who need guidance. It's not 1995... the mindset has changed.
-
Donn Beach
- Posts: 21121
- Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
Seattle or Bust wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:29 pmPersonally, I do not understand how in today's era... OF ALL ERAS... that organizations believe player's managers are the answer.
There has never been less focus and accountability in sports than displayed by the coming generation of athletes, particularly in baseball.
I was listening to a Puck who I believe was on with Bill Krueger... Krueger mentioned that Dan's blind spot lied in the fact that he was a very focused, self-motivated, self-preparing player himself. Bill said he believed Dan thought all players are like that and didn't know how to manage players who weren't.
News flash... there's a lot of guys in this era who need guidance. It's not 1995... the mindset has changed.
Not sure what you're getting at by a players manager. Lou was very much a players manager. I'd say that was the key to his success. Lou wasn't about chewing out players, he was about loving his players. He got away with his volatility because of how much he cared for them.
-
Seattle or Bust
- Posts: 11967
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
Donn you really don't know how to take something someone says and not apply the most black and white definition of it to it... do you?Donn Beach wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:47 pmSeattle or Bust wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:29 pmPersonally, I do not understand how in today's era... OF ALL ERAS... that organizations believe player's managers are the answer.
There has never been less focus and accountability in sports than displayed by the coming generation of athletes, particularly in baseball.
I was listening to a Puck who I believe was on with Bill Krueger... Krueger mentioned that Dan's blind spot lied in the fact that he was a very focused, self-motivated, self-preparing player himself. Bill said he believed Dan thought all players are like that and didn't know how to manage players who weren't.
News flash... there's a lot of guys in this era who need guidance. It's not 1995... the mindset has changed.
Not sure what you're getting at by a players manager. Lou was very much a players manager. I'd say that was the key to his success. Lou wasn't about chewing out players, he was about loving his players. He got away with his volatility because of how much he cared for them.
Nobody is saying that all Lou did was chew out players over and over again and that's what made him successful. Yet you reduce people's wanting a Lou style approach as a manager to that pretty much whenever it is brought up.
Sure, he showed up for his players. He also held them very, very much accountable. He often did so not so kindly.
-
Donn Beach
- Posts: 21121
- Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am
Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.
But what's your definition of a players manager? In my mind, Lou was a players managerSeattle or Bust wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:49 pmDonn you really don't know how to take something someone says and not apply the most black and white definition of it to it... do you?Donn Beach wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:47 pmSeattle or Bust wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:29 pmPersonally, I do not understand how in today's era... OF ALL ERAS... that organizations believe player's managers are the answer.
There has never been less focus and accountability in sports than displayed by the coming generation of athletes, particularly in baseball.
I was listening to a Puck who I believe was on with Bill Krueger... Krueger mentioned that Dan's blind spot lied in the fact that he was a very focused, self-motivated, self-preparing player himself. Bill said he believed Dan thought all players are like that and didn't know how to manage players who weren't.
News flash... there's a lot of guys in this era who need guidance. It's not 1995... the mindset has changed.
Not sure what you're getting at by a players manager. Lou was very much a players manager. I'd say that was the key to his success. Lou wasn't about chewing out players, he was about loving his players. He got away with his volatility because of how much he cared for them.
Nobody is saying that all Lou did was chew out players over and over again and that's what made him successful. Yet you reduce people's wanting a Lou style approach as a manager to that pretty much whenever it is brought up.
Sure, he showed up for his players. He also held them very, very much accountable. He often did so not so kindly.