Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:38 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:15 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:12 pm
ice99 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:09 pm
I wouldn't choose TMobile if I were Bogaerts. He has the best chance of the FA shortstops to get 3000 career hits.
I know ballparks impact hits but I don't think I will ever fully understand why.
I sort of get the heavy marine air keeping balls in the park, and the thin air in Denver letting them carry. But I guess it must be the dimensions of the outfield. Baseball is the only sport I know that doesn't have exact dimensions for its entire playing area.

I always thought that TMobile had a big outfield which allowed for more singles and doubles, but which made it hard to hit homeruns. So this park wouldn't be the first choice for buys with big bats (...like Judge...?) But I don't really know.
That is what is so insane. T Mobile is HORRIBLE for singles and doubles.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:40 pm

T Mobile DEAD LAST in singles doubles and triples and 18th in HRs. Make it make sense.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderbo ... rtDir=desc
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:40 pm
T Mobile DEAD LAST in singles doubles and triples and 18th in HRs. Make it make sense.

Witchcraft.

Flying Spaghetti Monster.

??

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:59 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:46 pm
D-train wrote:

Witchcraft.

Flying Spaghetti Monster.

??
:lol: It has to be either the batter's eye or the BPJs long grass theory or a combo of both. I mean what else is there??
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:02 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:04 pm

dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:13 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:59 pm
:lol: It has to be either the batter's eye or the BPJs long grass theory or a combo of both. I mean what else is there??
From a blog I found - take it for whjat it's worth. Makes sense to me.

Height of Outfield Fences

The higher the fence, the greater the difficulty for a player to hit a home run. Take for example, the Green Monster in Boston's Fenway Park. While it is only 310 feet from home plate it towers at 36 feet high. Many hits from right-handed hitters will rarely clear the wall. But in Cincinnati's Great American Ball Park, the right field walls are only eight feet high and some major league walls are even smaller.

Depth of Outfield

This is the most obvious factor in determining the difficulty of hitting a home run. How often do you see home runs hit in center field at Minute Maid Park in Houston (436 feet)? Or how about left-center field at AT&T Park in San Francisco? Not very often. The depth of most MLB stadiums' home run territory will range from 350 to 380 feet depending on location. The all around deepest field in Major League Baseball is Petco Park in San Diego, California.

Indoor Venue/Climate

With the thin and dry air in Denver and Phoenix, both the Colorado Rockies and the Arizona Diamondbacks use humidors for their baseballs. Statistics have shown that the baseball humidor has lowered the amount of home runs significantly at these stadiums, thus, leveling the overall playing field. Additionally, some ballparks are located next to bodies of water that produce strong breezes and gusts that could help the ball travel further or lesser. Both PNC Park in Pittsburgh and Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati have a reputation for effecting the flight of the baseball.

Size of 'Foul Areas'

You will notice the difference in size of foul areas on television. Look at how small the foul ball territories are at the older ballparks such as Fenway Park and Wrigley Field. Target Field is a new ballpark with a tiny foul zone. Oakland Coliseum, the home of the A's, has a large foul area. When stadiums have large foul areas, the games move quicker, less pitches are thrown and hitters get less at-bats because the defense has more of an area to make plays.

Height of Mound

A higher pitching mound allows a pitcher to put more downward velocity on the baseball. Teams that maintain pitching as their forte will often have higher mounds, for example, the Los Angeles Dodgers. Dodger Stadium has the highest pitching mound in the MLB.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:04 pm
So Flexen is set to be dealt, where does this leave Marco? Wonder if we can pass him thru waivers and send him to Tacoma to sit in case of emergency need?

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:41 pm

D-train wrote:

Using the link you provided, but adjusting the 3 Year Rolling to No, so it's one year data each line, we get the following data:

5 YEARS BEFORE NEW GRASS (The fences were moved in prior to 2013):

2013-
Singles: 18th of 30 teams in MLB
Doubles: 5th
Triples: 25th
HR: 22nd

2014-
Singles: 25th
Doubles: 30th
Triples: 27th
HR: 10th

2015-
Singles: 15th
Doubles: 28th
Triples: 20th
HR: 22nd

2016-
Singles: 25th
Doubles: 20th
Triples: 25th
HR: 8th

2017-
Singles: 19th
Doubles: 26th
Triples: 14th
HR: 21st

Average ranking across the 5 years:
Singles: 20.4
Doubles: 21.8
Triples: 22.2
HR: 16.6

THE 5 YEARS AFTER REPLACING GRASS:

2018-
Singles: 22nd
Doubles: 28th
Triples: 14th
HR: 13th

2019-
Singles: 18th
Doubles: 27th
HR: 18th

2020-
Singles: 29th
Triples: 29th
HR: 10th

2021-
Singles: 29th
Doubles: 30th
HR: 18th

2022-
Singles: 28th
Triples: 30th
HR: 14th

Average ranking across the 5 years:
Singles: 25.2 (which is down 4.8 spots in this 5 year sample compared to 2013-17)
Doubles: 27.8 (down 6 spots)
Triples: 25.4 (down 3.2 spots)
HR: 14.6 (up 2 spots)

So, for all 10 years it was a park that suppressed everything more than it did homeruns, but that has kicked into overdrive since the new grass was put in.

I don't think it's necessarily longer grass. However, if you think of it like walking into a Washington forest compared to a California forest, you're going to be in two different ecosystems. There is a much higher moisture content in the forests of Washington. Correct me if I'm wrong. But same goes for soccer fields, football stadiums, baseball fields.

In a game where the ball rolls/bounces across the surface, the Pacific Northwest provides a unique ballpark experience.

If you roll a ball across a field of grass with a high natural water content in a wet climate and compare that to a ball rolled across a field in a dry area, you're going to get two balls rolling/bouncing at a much different speed, even if the drier lawn is watered regularly.

The heartier ground with the higher moisture content/thicker grass causes the ball to roll/bounce across it slower and slow down faster than it does on the naturally drier ground. Same reason it moves faster on turf than on grass.

The end result is infielders are able to get in front of more ground balls before they make it through a hole in the infield, and balls that do get hit to the gap in the outfield hit the grass and slow down faster than when they hit off a harder/drier ground like what would be found in California or Arizona, for example. Balls rarely roll to the wall in T-Mobile like they do in other parks, limiting hitters to long singles as the outfielder cuts it off instead of doubles and triples that roll to the wall in other parks.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:48 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:15 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:04 pm
So Flexen is set to be dealt, where does this leave Marco? Wonder if we can pass him thru waivers and send him to Tacoma to sit in case of emergency need?
He can't be sent to the minors other than rehab. He would refuse that.
dt