Future of Pete - random ranting

D-train

Re: Future of Pete - random ranting

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:30 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:37 am
Smith lays into Pete

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... -nfc-elite
Looks like I will have a spicy breakfast reading material tomorrow. Thanks!
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:09 am

ddraig wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:52 am
So who would you like to replace Pete?
I'll take Kalen DeBoer and Ryan Grubb for a (few thousand) thousand please Alex!
seriously, who better to modernize this organization?

This thought started a while ago but has really solidified to me this year: it's hard to get real enthused for this team's chances while Pete is your coach in the same division as Shanahan and McVay. And sadly i dont see those two leaving any time soon.
they used to say "It's about the Jims and the Joes, not the X's and O's. In general that has been true for the college game, but there is not much talent disparity in the NFL thanks to the salary cap, reverse-draft order, and weaker schedules for weaker teams. So it's not really a stretch to say that McVay, Shanahan, and McDaniels ARE the Jims and Joes at the pro level.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:11 am

Josh McDaniels? McDaniels represents the risk in trying to elevate a guy to HC

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:24 pm

Classic Carroll... the script he uses at almost every post game presser:

"I'm surprised we didn't play better," a disconcerted Carroll said. "We did the things we needed in the game plan and we called everything that we had, and we didn't stop them consistently. Both the running backs did a really nice job against us, and it was just more than we could handle on this day."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:37 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:24 pm
Classic Carroll... the script he uses at almost every post game presser:

"I'm surprised we didn't play better," a disconcerted Carroll said. "We did the things we needed in the game plan and we called everything that we had, and we didn't stop them consistently. Both the running backs did a really nice job against us, and it was just more than we could handle on this day."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The larger problem for the Seahawks is they are losing the fanbase - this same movie over and over and over is pushing fans away. It has become so stale, so predictable. Why they are scheming, basically a 'prevent defense' against back up QB's - games they consistantly lose - simply defies any logic. over and over and over this philosophy fails against the NFL's lesser talent - the only ones not seeing it are the Seahawks coaches. Maybe it's not Hurrt, but PC wanting it this way. I just cannot see how the same failures result in the same scheming. We are past the point of 'maybe PC should go" and we are getting to the point quickly where the narrative is going to be 'step down or get fired". PC looks lost and with no answers for anything on any level. He's lost the team, clearly, and the fans are heading to the exits. I bet Jody gives him an ultimatum behind closed doors. I will be legit surprised if he survives after this season. I see a team being consistantly schemed into losses - not wins. A blowout loss to the Tardinals and he stand no chance of surviving. The majority seem to want him gone - just not fired. he looks like a guy who knows it's time to bow out gracefully. I think he does. I cannot see any pathway to the fanbase getting excited next year for another season of this. We are way way way past that point. We are getting into 'look at all the empty seats' territory.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:04 pm

Exactly. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

It's bad. Really bad. Like senility bad.
Last edited by douche on Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:09 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:37 pm

The larger problem for the Seahawks is they are losing the fanbase - this same movie over and over and over is pushing fans away. It has become so stale, so predictable. Why they are scheming, basically a 'prevent defense' against back up QB's - games they consistantly lose - simply defies any logic. over and over and over this philosophy fails against the NFL's lesser talent - the only ones not seeing it are the Seahawks coaches. Maybe it's not Hurrt, but PC wanting it this way.
I don't think there is any question that is it. Donn posted a quote many years ago, probably not even in this forum, but about how Pete was never going to do something again that wasn't his way. Seems he did that in New England and New York, and wouldn't do it again. There is a reason that all of our game plans look the same, regardless of the coordinator. We can scoff all we want about his bullshit "you can't win until the 4th quarter" mantra that he gets to pull out two or three times a year when it actually works. But name the last game you thought we came out of the gates firing? I'll tell you, it was game one last year, and that was because he wanted to shove it in Russ's face.
auroraave wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:37 pm
I just cannot see how the same failures result in the same scheming. We are past the point of 'maybe PC should go" and we are getting to the point quickly where the narrative is going to be 'step down or get fired". PC looks lost and with no answers for anything on any level. He's lost the team, clearly, and the fans are heading to the exits. I bet Jody gives him an ultimatum behind closed doors. I will be legit surprised if he survives after this season. I see a team being consistantly schemed into losses - not wins. A blowout loss to the Tardinals and he stand no chance of surviving. The majority seem to want him gone - just not fired. he looks like a guy who knows it's time to bow out gracefully. I think he does. I cannot see any pathway to the fanbase getting excited next year for another season of this. We are way way way past that point. We are getting into 'look at all the empty seats' territory.
I don't see it that way. I see a sold out stadium and the majority of fans buying his bullshit until the day he wants to walk away. The difference is, ticket sales and making money won't fly for the Seahawks the way it does for the Mariners. The ulitmatum might come from the organization, but it won't be because the fans are revolting, IMO.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:42 pm

The canary in the coalmine (for the oldies here) should be what Sherm and Bennett said about Pete years ago. They were spot on. And the whole defense was spot on about Russ. Rah Rah Pete seems to be old. The freedom and music blaring has gotten repetitive.

We need an offensive coach that hires a more modern defensive coach. Not this some old crap Pete is pushing.

John has to be accountable too. He traded for Adams. He signed Adams, Diggs, Dissly, etc. to higher than market for what they are.

Drafting Dline has been not so good too. Weak Taylor, Hall is a major project, Mafe is hot and cold (but still good value as a 2nd rounder), tiny hitter CB Spoon is great--but has already missed 3 games because of his aggressive hitting at 181 pounds. Back to back 2nd rounders at RB when plenty of back available later in rounds when DL and OL need more. Every draft has late round RB's. Don't need to spend back to back 2nd rounders ( NFL top 20 backs-2. Williams 5th round,6. Mosert UDFA, 6 4th round, 7. Montgomery 3rd round, 10. Pacheco 7th round. 10 Pollard 4th round. So, 5 of top 10 RBs in the NFL were in the 3rd round or later. Heck 4 of the 10 were 4th and later. Walker fantastic pick looking at it, but drafting another the next year is over drafting. FA and later round picks are better value and spend on oline and dline.

Oh well, this is about Pete. It is time for him to go. His defensive acumen has 100 percent failed:

Total Defense

2023 27th
2022 26th
2021 28th
2020 22nd
2019 26th
2018 16th
2017 11th
2016 5th

Pete would say total defense doesn't matter, but only matters when touting it in 2012-2016???

1 playoff win in 6 almost 7 years. Enough is enough.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:02 am

auroraave wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:30 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:56 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:37 am
It seems clear now that trading for Williams was a mistake and shows that Carroll and/or Schneider failed to accurately assess where the team was and hence jumped the gun by "going for it" when they were nowhere near to being a contender. Now they will have to pay him and make due with fewer draft picks when they still have several positions to upgrade. Totally botched assessment.
Good point.

Seattle traded for Williams after Nwuso, arguably Seattle's best defensive player, went down. Williams is a baller. Now imagine Williams next to Carter. The trade was not the mistake, the mistake was not bolstering the front 7 more aptly because of fear carter 'might make a mistake'. People love to complain about trades - how about if Seattle just never tries anything at all? Y'all be whining about that. You take chances - or you don't. The Williams trade is NOT a bust. That's utterly absurd. The defense is better with him. With Carter and Nwosu they'd be very very formidable up front. How is upgrading a position of dire need 'a botched assignment"? That makes no sense at all, it's complaining for the sake of complaining.
Let's play a game where we only talk about moves that didn't pan out, ignore everything that has, so we can paint everyone as a failure! Jesus Christ it gets old.
You might want a new drum to beat. Philly had a very good defense last year, addd Carter and are not very good at all.

23rd overall
28h against the pass
29th in points allowed

We are
27h overall
19th against the pass
24th in points allowed

We also have 46 Sacks to their 41. Not sure Carter makes a bigger impact here than he did there.

They went from second to twenty third in overall defense
From first to twenty eight against the pass
And from 7th to 24th in points allowed.

Damn, that Carter is a difference maker!

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:21 am

Rob Staton is on the Ride Pete Carroll out of town train.

https://seahawksdraftblog.com/pete-carr ... eeds-to-go