Seahawks vs Cardinals game thread

Donn Beach

Re: Seahawks vs Cardinals game thread

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:52 pm

If the game was rigged I doubt the official is apologizing for it

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:01 pm

The head ref (Levy?) in that SB was definitely calling the game crookedly and it was more than just a pro-Pittsburgh bias. He apparently had some words with Holmgren early in the game that he took offense to. But he was not acting on some directive from above.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:04 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:51 pm
auroraave wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:09 pm

How do you explain the Seahawks Steelers SB? Officiating was so blatantly lopsided a ref came out and apologized. Everyone said that game was rigged - even steeler fans.
This nonsense that refs would "come out and write a book'' is legally prohibited by signing NDA's. They would get prosecuted for breach.
You are manufacturing this over the top "CIA spy" scenario to discredit people who question this stuff - and they should questions this stuff, like how people questioned covid coverage or Iraq or UIkraine. You are ignoring the elephant in the room: refs are clearly dictating outcomes and they have for some time now, it's not a conspiracy theory, it's obvious and blatant. Draw your own conclusions, but suggesting game influencing/rigging is impossible while ignoring the Seattle SB jobbing and the fact the NFL is an 'entertainment league" and is all about advertising, marketing, storylines, money and gambling, not fandom of the sport of football, seems foolish. I question everything. Why would you NOT? Rigging has been going on forever in sports, why is the NFL somehow above that? Tim Donoghey pointed out exactly how the NBA was influencing games via the refs - pregame meetings they would get thier marching orders about what calls to emphasize, etc. Rememeber the phoenix suns shooting 67 free throws against the sonics in the Conference finals - so the NBA conveniently got thier barkley/Jordan match up? Jesus, it's clear there is influence happening. It's 2023, if you aren't questioning everything you are being told, you have your head in the sand. Lakers/Kings, Lakers/Blazers, Saints/Lambs. The list goes on and on and on and on and on...
Couple different things. What DT is saying is there is no organized conspiracy to fix random games. That doesn't mean there couldn't be individuals in particular games that are looking to change the outcome. Like the ref from Pittsburgh that just happened to call the OPI in the Seahawks/Stealers SB. I will go to my grave believing that game was rigged, and the "NFL wants Bettis to get a ring" theory actually seems plausible. It is also possible that it was mere incompetence combined with bad coincidence, but that would be a lot of coincidence.

Goodell is a certified 100% piece of shit, and it wouldn't surprise me even a tiny bit if he had a thumb on the scale with schedules, ref assignments, fines and suspensions, that sort of thing. But DT's point is the risk/reward to actually fixing games doesn't make sense. Getting caught in a scandal of that magnitude would cost billions.

The NBA is absolutely corrupt, though. They have fixed everything from games to series to drafts and relocations to OKC.
Agree with all this. Also, Goodell is paid by ALL the owners. Do they all get a say on which teams benefit from the Fixes or does Goodell just favor the owners he is buddies with and the rest are screwed?

In regards to the SB, there were several major bad calls go against us but I am sure there were some in our favor that we all forgot or didn't notice because they were away from the ball or for other obvious reasons. Fans are just conditioned to believe is us against the rest of Humanity. lol
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:06 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
auroraave wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:09 pm

How do you explain the Seahawks Steelers SB? Officiating was so blatantly lopsided a ref came out and apologized. Everyone said that game was rigged - even steeler fans.
This nonsense that refs would "come out and write a book'' is legally prohibited by signing NDA's. They would get prosecuted for breach.
You are manufacturing this over the top "CIA spy" scenario to discredit people who question this stuff - and they should questions this stuff, like how people questioned covid coverage or Iraq or UIkraine. You are ignoring the elephant in the room: refs are clearly dictating outcomes and they have for some time now, it's not a conspiracy theory, it's obvious and blatant. Draw your own conclusions, but suggesting game influencing/rigging is impossible while ignoring the Seattle SB jobbing and the fact the NFL is an 'entertainment league" and is all about advertising, marketing, storylines, money and gambling, not fandom of the sport of football, seems foolish. I question everything. Why would you NOT? Rigging has been going on forever in sports, why is the NFL somehow above that? Tim Donoghey pointed out exactly how the NBA was influencing games via the refs - pregame meetings they would get thier marching orders about what calls to emphasize, etc. Rememeber the phoenix suns shooting 67 free throws against the sonics in the Conference finals - so the NBA conveniently got thier barkley/Jordan match up? Jesus, it's clear there is influence happening. It's 2023, if you aren't questioning everything you are being told, you have your head in the sand. Lakers/Kings, Lakers/Blazers, Saints/Lambs. The list goes on and on and on and on and on...
Couple different things. What DT is saying is there is no organized conspiracy to fix random games. That doesn't mean there couldn't be individuals in particular games that are looking to change the outcome. Like the ref from Pittsburgh that just happened to call the OPI in the Seahawks/Stealers SB. I will go to my grave believing that game was rigged, and the "NFL wants Bettis to get a ring" theory actually seems plausible. It is also possible that it was mere incompetence combined with bad coincidence, but that would be a lot of coincidence.

Goodell is a certified 100% piece of shit, and it wouldn't surprise me even a tiny bit if he had a thumb on the scale with schedules, ref assignments, fines and suspensions, that sort of thing. But DT's point is the risk/reward to actually fixing games doesn't make sense. Getting caught in a scandal of that magnitude would cost billions.

The NBA is absolutely corrupt, though. They have fixed everything from games to series to drafts and relocations to OKC.
Why is it plausible the NBA is completely corrupted and rigged/fixed/whatever you want to call it.... but the NFL isn't? Don't they have the EXACT same 'billion dollar" magnitude problem? It's obvious games are being influenced - silly to suggest otherwise - why would it not apply to the NFL? I love people's argument that they think the participants would openly talk about it - when at a minimum they would be prosecuted for fraud and any number of possible RICO charges by admitting guilt - IF it was an organized effort. I do not know if there is or isn't - not suggesting I do - but to dismiss the idea of fixing/influenceing is silly - of course it is possible - history is littered with it. Donaughey was never convicted of betting on games - he was exhonerated by the FBI - so he would not necessarily be breaking any laws. How anyone can say woith a straight face they "trust" the NFL - is hilarious to me. "Get the jab, you won't get covid!" When money is involved, big money, corruption always finds a way to exploit. Always.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:22 pm

Late to the party (and not to overstate the obvious), but this team needs a quality kick returner.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:44 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:22 pm
Late to the party (and not to overstate the obvious), but this team needs a quality kick returner.
DJ had a really nice return late but it it was kind of lucky how he got spun around and ended up in the clear...
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:03 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:

I think the difference is the NBA has to. They don't have the popularity that the NFL does.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:13 pm

Not only would the NFL be risking billions in revenue they would be risking criminal charges given their heavy involvement with the gambling industry.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:44 pm
douche wrote:
DJ had a really nice return late but it it was kind of lucky how he got spun around and ended up in the clear...
His fumble in the 1st quarter was a beauty. :D

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:42 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:19 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:44 pm
douche wrote:
His fumble in the 1st quarter was a beauty. :D

Fumbles are never good but the coverage guy did a great job of getting his hand in there and ripping it out.
dt