Missing Titanic Submersible

maoling

Missing Titanic Submersible

Post by maoling » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:56 am

I'll be amazed if anyone survives whatever has happened to it. Hope they get lucky, but I think somehow it got entangled down there, or some sea critter hit it and compromised the hull.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/other/ ... r-AA1cLKZw

seattlefan-daBronx

Re: Missing Titanic Submersible

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:23 am

maoling wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:56 am
I'll be amazed if anyone survives whatever has happened to it. Hope they get lucky, but I think somehow it got entangled down there, or some sea critter hit it and compromised the hull.

That's a lot of pressure they are under. Prayers they get back O.K.
The article says 8 hours on average to decompress and get back to the surface. Crazy.
I've been down 160 feet scuba diving and realizing I don't need or want to go any deeper than that ever in the ocean.
I got scared because we were always taught to stay within the 130 feet depth range but the water was so clear and deceptive.
Granted I was with a Marine Biologist who's crew knew exactly what they were doing so it was my best dive ever.

They most likely if surviving will spend days in a decompression tank with hopefully no long term lung/brain damage.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

maoling

Post by maoling » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:46 am

I never dove much deeper than 60 feet with tanks around here in 70s. Redondo, Edmonds, local stuff. Found an octopus once!

My guess is that repeated dives at that extreme depth to the wreck, even if it was just a few, may have weakened the hull to a point that it just ruptured and crumpled this time, despite whatever failsafe systems they had in place. Communication appears to have been lost suddenly and abruptly, without a word or ping since. That speaks to disaster.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:51 am

maoling wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:46 am
I never dove much deeper than 60 feet with tanks around here in 70s. Redondo, Edmonds, local stuff. Found an octopus once!

My guess is that repeated dives at that extreme depth to the wreck, even if it was just a few, may have weakened the hull to a point that it just ruptured and crumpled this time, despite whatever failsafe systems they had in place. Communication appears to have been lost suddenly and abruptly, without a word or ping since. That speaks to disaster.
That is nuts and horrible way to die.

As a kid I dove off of Redondo too. Cold as hell and murky/low visibility. Nothing like the Carribean bro.
Honestly the older I get the more I like to just snorkel. I've seen some of the best marine life water chest high and 50 meters out.

maoling

Post by maoling » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:20 pm

As a kid I dove off of Redondo too. Cold as hell and murky/low visibility. Nothing like the Carribean bro.
Honestly the older I get the more I like to just snorkel. I've seen some of the best marine life water chest high and 50 meters out.

Very true, you don't need to go deep with tanks far offshore when the water is crystal-clear. Maui, Molokini, Bora Bora, Fiji, I had just as much fun snorkeling there as I ever would have on a dive in those spots. Besides it is cold and murky in Puget Sound. Fuck wetsuits lol. Give me warm water, colorful fish and manta rays.

I think this sub crew is long gone. Hope I'm wrong.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:38 pm

maoling wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:20 pm

Very true, you don't need to go deep with tanks far offshore when the water is crystal-clear. Maui, Molokini, Bora Bora, Fiji, I had just as much fun snorkeling there as I ever would have on a dive in those spots. Besides it is cold and murky in Puget Sound. Fuck wetsuits lol. Give me warm water, colorful fish and manta rays.

I think this sub crew is long gone. Hope I'm wrong.
Is Bora Bora not one of the most beautiful places on earth?!?!
That is on my bucket for a return trip.
We swam with tiger and lemon sharks there.
Ate Mai Mai everyday.
Unbelievable.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:14 pm

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:23 am
maoling wrote:

The article says 8 hours on average to decompress and get back to the surface. Crazy.
I've been down 160 feet scuba diving and realizing I don't need or want to go any deeper than that ever in the ocean.
I got scared because we were always taught to stay within the 130 feet depth range but the water was so clear and deceptive.
Granted I was with a Marine Biologist who's crew knew exactly what they were doing so it was my best dive ever.

They most likely if surviving will spend days in a decompression tank with hopefully no long term lung/brain damage.
I got certified and dove in Belize and on a Caribbean cruise but then asked myself why in the hell to I want to fear for my life on a vacation. Snorkeling is plenty good for me. Can see almost everything you can scuba diving.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:14 pm
seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:23 am
maoling wrote:

I got certified and dove in Belize and on a Caribbean cruise but then asked myself why in the hell to I want to fear for my life on a vacation. Snorkeling is plenty good for me. Can see almost everything you can scuba diving.
I got certified when I was in the Marine Corps on Okinawa, and it was fine. It was sort of cool to be way down there. But I didn't love it the way I thought I would and I just got to thinking about all that water that's on top of you when you're a hundred feet down and so that was that for me and scuba diving.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:34 pm

I think instead of ST trip next year I will organize a trip to the bottom of Mariana's Trench. Only 36k feet deep. Any one interested???
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:34 am

I'll stick with snorkeling, thank you very much!