Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

GL_Storm

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:31 pm

There's a Passan article about the Astros front office on ESPN. If someone with access wants to reprint it here I promise I wont call the copywrite police on you.

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:04 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:08 pm
Yoshida is coming to America for sure

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/ ... shida.html

https://youtu.be/d-d8VxBVmGM
Sign me up for that shit right now. Then trade for Arraez then sign Rodon. Done and done.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:14 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:54 pm
This would be my hope going forward:

Trade: Mariners send Taylor Trammell, Chris Flexen, and Isaiah Campbell to the Phillies for reliever Jose Alvarado.

Why? The M's offload some of their young outfield depth to a team who needs it. The Phillies are very weak defensively in OF and rolled out a horrible CF this past year in Matt Vierling who was worth -.6 WAR. Enter Taylor Trammell who gives them a cheap upgrade with years of control who can play a decent CF. Isaiah Campbell offers a young bullpen arm replacement for Jose Alvarado who the Phillies may want to trade as he has just 1 year left of control and has been good, but not great. Flexen serves as a solid 5 that they didn't get from Kyle Gibson or Zach Elfin. The M's need a lefty reliever and Alvarado fills the role as a solid power arm.

Trade: Mariners send Taylor Dollard, Lazaro Montes, Bryan Woo, Dylan Moore to the Rays for 2B Brandon Lowe.

Why? This is exactly the trade the Rays like to make when guys get expensive. Lowe is set to make $5.2 million in 2023 and $8.75 million in 2024... a steep price to pay if he repeats the poor performance he had in 2022. Taylor Dollard is a wet dream for Tampa and would likely become the next, great right handed arm for them. Lazaro Montes has high up side as a youngin that will help rebuild a farm that is struggling positionaly. Bryan Woo gives them a solid bullpen arm who shined in the M's farm in '22. Moore serves as a cheaper replacement for Lowe at 2B. The M's take a bit of a gamble on a guy who has posted some serious production in the past but was bad in '22. He's a premier 2B when healthy and the M's would have him for control in '25 and '26 on club options if he returns to form.

Trade: Mariners send Emerson Hancock, Gabriel Gonzales, Jarred Kelenic, Jesse Winker and cash to the Pirates for LF Bryan Reynolds.

Why? While the return may seem light for Reynolds on paper, it was rumored that Hancock was possibly the centerpiece for a deal for Reynolds when the M's checked in at various times. Hancock rebounded nicely in '22 and pitched to around a 2.00 ERA in 15 starts before having a rough final 5 or so starts which put his ERA in the mid 3's. His value is a lot higher than given credit for and he's the arm the Pirates would want. Gabriel Gonzales is the Bryan Reynolds of the M's farm system... high avg, extremely high OBP, some power, OF versatility... he's a baby... but the Pirates adding him only helps build the farm. Kelenic serves as a replacement for Reynolds and the Pirates hope they catch lightning in a bottle w. a former top 5 prospect. Winker returns to the NL and if he returns to form... the Pirates got a good one that they can maybe entice to stick around. The Mariners complete what would be easily the best OF in baseball by adding Reynolds.

Trade: Mariners send Marco Gonzales and cash to the Red Sox for reliever Matt Barnes.

Why? The Red Sox could use some starting pitching depth. Contract dumps for both teams.

Sign: Mariners sign Kodai Senga to a 4-year $70 million deal.

Why? He's good. Potentially cheap. And the M's would have a 4/5 in Ray/Senga or Senga/Ray that would be 1's or 2's in some rotations.

Lineup:

1. (S) Bryan Reynolds LF
2. (R) Ty France 1B
3. (R) Julio Rodriguez CF
4. (R) Teoscar Hernandez RF
5. (L) Brandon Lowe 2B
6. (R) Eugenio Suarez 3B
7. (S) Cal Raleigh C
8. Kyle Lewis/ Cade Marlowe DH/OF flex
9. (L)JP Crawford SS

Bench: Util: Sam Haggerty, OF's Cade Marlowe, Kyle Lewis: BC: Tom Murphy

Rotation:

1. Luis Castillo
2. George Kirby
3. Logan Gilbert
4. Robbie Ray
5. Kodai Senga

Bullpen:

Closer: Andres Munoz
High Leverage: Paul Sewald, Matt Brash, Jose Alvarado
Low Leverage: Diego Castillo, Penn Murfee, Matt Festa, Matt Barnes
The rest: Prelander Berroa? Blake Weiman? Gabe Speier? Easton McGee? Bryce Miller?
Sorry man but Alvarado looks at best like a Castillo clone. Was HORRIBLE in 2021 and just ok for a reliever in 2022. No way I do that one.

I might do the second one but please not Montes and would seem odd to trade a 2B with 1.4 WAR and a 122 OPS+ for a 2B with 1.0 WAR in nearly identical the PAs (255 vs. 266) I get it though due to Lowe's track record.

3rd one's the charm! Hell yes. GG would hurt but you have to give to get. So you got better as you progressed! :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:21 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:54 pm
This would be my hope going forward:

Trade: Mariners send Taylor Trammell, Chris Flexen, and Isaiah Campbell to the Phillies for reliever Jose Alvarado.

Why? The M's offload some of their young outfield depth to a team who needs it. The Phillies are very weak defensively in OF and rolled out a horrible CF this past year in Matt Vierling who was worth -.6 WAR. Enter Taylor Trammell who gives them a cheap upgrade with years of control who can play a decent CF. Isaiah Campbell offers a young bullpen arm replacement for Jose Alvarado who the Phillies may want to trade as he has just 1 year left of control and has been good, but not great. Flexen serves as a solid 5 that they didn't get from Kyle Gibson or Zach Elfin. The M's need a lefty reliever and Alvarado fills the role as a solid power arm.

Trade: Mariners send Taylor Dollard, Lazaro Montes, Bryan Woo, Dylan Moore to the Rays for 2B Brandon Lowe.

Why? This is exactly the trade the Rays like to make when guys get expensive. Lowe is set to make $5.2 million in 2023 and $8.75 million in 2024... a steep price to pay if he repeats the poor performance he had in 2022. Taylor Dollard is a wet dream for Tampa and would likely become the next, great right handed arm for them. Lazaro Montes has high up side as a youngin that will help rebuild a farm that is struggling positionaly. Bryan Woo gives them a solid bullpen arm who shined in the M's farm in '22. Moore serves as a cheaper replacement for Lowe at 2B. The M's take a bit of a gamble on a guy who has posted some serious production in the past but was bad in '22. He's a premier 2B when healthy and the M's would have him for control in '25 and '26 on club options if he returns to form.

Trade: Mariners send Emerson Hancock, Gabriel Gonzales, Jarred Kelenic, Jesse Winker and cash to the Pirates for LF Bryan Reynolds.

Why? While the return may seem light for Reynolds on paper, it was rumored that Hancock was possibly the centerpiece for a deal for Reynolds when the M's checked in at various times. Hancock rebounded nicely in '22 and pitched to around a 2.00 ERA in 15 starts before having a rough final 5 or so starts which put his ERA in the mid 3's. His value is a lot higher than given credit for and he's the arm the Pirates would want. Gabriel Gonzales is the Bryan Reynolds of the M's farm system... high avg, extremely high OBP, some power, OF versatility... he's a baby... but the Pirates adding him only helps build the farm. Kelenic serves as a replacement for Reynolds and the Pirates hope they catch lightning in a bottle w. a former top 5 prospect. Winker returns to the NL and if he returns to form... the Pirates got a good one that they can maybe entice to stick around. The Mariners complete what would be easily the best OF in baseball by adding Reynolds.

Trade: Mariners send Marco Gonzales and cash to the Red Sox for reliever Matt Barnes.

Why? The Red Sox could use some starting pitching depth. Contract dumps for both teams.

Sign: Mariners sign Kodai Senga to a 4-year $70 million deal.

Why? He's good. Potentially cheap. And the M's would have a 4/5 in Ray/Senga or Senga/Ray that would be 1's or 2's in some rotations.

Lineup:

1. (S) Bryan Reynolds LF
2. (R) Ty France 1B
3. (R) Julio Rodriguez CF
4. (R) Teoscar Hernandez RF
5. (L) Brandon Lowe 2B
6. (R) Eugenio Suarez 3B
7. (S) Cal Raleigh C
8. Kyle Lewis/ Cade Marlowe DH/OF flex
9. (L)JP Crawford SS

Bench: Util: Sam Haggerty, OF's Cade Marlowe, Kyle Lewis: BC: Tom Murphy

Rotation:

1. Luis Castillo
2. George Kirby
3. Logan Gilbert
4. Robbie Ray
5. Kodai Senga

Bullpen:

Closer: Andres Munoz
High Leverage: Paul Sewald, Matt Brash, Jose Alvarado
Low Leverage: Diego Castillo, Penn Murfee, Matt Festa, Matt Barnes
The rest: Prelander Berroa? Blake Weiman? Gabe Speier? Easton McGee? Bryce Miller?
Wild when I looked up Alvarado there was a NBA player with the same name. When I looked up Matt Barnes there was an NBA player with the same name. :shock:

I would be fine with the Marco trade and Senga signing but you are a bit light on the DH sitch but that's how Jerry rolls so I get it.

Fatal flaw of your roster though is nobody can back up the great one at SS should he falter or succumb to injury.....maybe you can trade Sam instead of Dilly.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:23 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:10 pm
I'll pass on the deal for Jose Alvarado. I'd honestly just rather sign Matthew Boyd or Matt Moore, or preferably both. I'm not trading G2 or Montes, and maybe not Woo depending on what the internal reports say about him.

I've long thought that a trade for Bryan Reynolds would include JK in return. Hate to see him go but them's the breaks.
Why would you hate to see him go? You can still follow him when he rakes for the Indianapolis Guardians. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:25 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:30 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:25 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:20 pm

I will state this until the day I die. You cannot get married to prospects or burnouts that you hope turn out.

The Astros traded 29 prospects, at least 20 of which were rated in their org's top 10 at the given time, for CarGo, McCann, Gattis, Giles, Liriano, Verlander, Cole, Osuna and Greinke.

They've made 6 straight ALCS. They don't stop developing once they make these trades.
I think the trick for GM's and front offices is to know which players to trade and which ones to hold onto.
Sure.

And the Astros held on to the ones they wanted and quite literally traded the rest.

The guys I'm really wanting to onto are Ford, Young, Miller... of our top guys at least.

It's not to say that you might trade a guy who is good...

One of the prospects the Astros traded? Teoscar Hernandez.
I would trade Ford over both GG and Montas. Even Churchill is very high on Ford.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:05 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:25 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:25 pm

I think the trick for GM's and front offices is to know which players to trade and which ones to hold onto.
Sure.

And the Astros held on to the ones they wanted and quite literally traded the rest.

The guys I'm really wanting to onto are Ford, Young, Miller... of our top guys at least.

I would trade Ford over both GG and Montas. Even Churchill is very high on Ford.
I prefer to hold onto Ford. If we develop him right and he has a couple of good years, his value could shoot through the roof!

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:36 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:05 pm
D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

Sure.

I prefer to hold onto Ford. If we develop him right and he has a couple of good years, his value could shoot through the roof!
More than GG and Montas?
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:36 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:05 pm
D-train wrote:

More than GG and Montas?
😬 Mannnnn....it would just depend on who we got back in the deal. I have them really really close. We have less depth at catcher than we do at SS.