Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:02 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:52 am
bpj wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:36 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:25 am

Probably 7-8? 5-6 wins on his starts, then maybe a few more because of the decreased stress on the bullpen.
Agreed.

In other words, replacing Marco with another ace would add more wins than we're adding at any other position this offseason.
Yes, but at a point you need more runs, so focusing on spending the money on an OF, DH and 2B will do more for the Mariners and their postseason chances. I won't be upset if they sign another starter by any means, but I'm also fine with them letting a younger guy have the chance to take the job like Hancock.

I agree in a vacuum but you do what you can when you can. If we could add Senga, Rodon, Verlander, etc you do it. If I could add two premium parts vs 3 semi premium adds I will go with the two premiums.

For example:
A: Get *Wong 2B, **Josh Bell 4X16m, and *Benentendi 4X 13.5M
This would be a big improvement in 4 areas
They can all swing from the left hand side
Wong is a pesky 2B who in 3/4 years has given you 118, 110, and 109 OPS+( 3 WAR guy past few years)
Bell is a switch hitting DH/1B who can provide you a middle bat from the left(120OPS+ career)
Benentendi is a support piece who is a good defender 109 career and peaks at 123 OPS+(2-3 WAR guy)

And you plugged all the holes and the lineup is much improved. We didn't break the bank and between having 2 1st rounders and f. Celestine our prospect bank will be good to go again.

1. *Benentendi OF .304 .373 .399 .772 120 OPS+ (.353 OBA career)
2. France 1B/DH 128 OPS+
3. JRod CF 148 OPS+
4. **J Bell 1B/DH 128 OPS+
5. Saurez 3B 129 OPS+
6. **Cal C 122 OPS+
7. Teo OF 127 OPS+
8. *Wong 2B 118 OPS+
9. *JP SS 100 OPS+
Bench Murphy, Moore for sure
Best of
JK, Toro, TT, Haggerty, Marlow, etc

But for my money I would rather go with say Trea, Verlander,

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:03 am

bpj wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:49 am

Really they should just be focusing on putting the best team possible on the field, right. That obviously does not include Marco. A difference of 7-8 wins in your estimation. They have both money and depth available.

If Marco is in the 2023 rotation when literally any available starting pitching option is better, they need their heads examined.

If they don't get Judge, Correa or Nimmo, their best chance to add high quality bats is probably to trade their MLB ready arms. You guys are right, they probably shouldn't trade Hancock and Dollard for a guy like Reynolds if they don't add another SP in front of them.

Hancock/Dollard/Kelenic is a great package for a guy like Reynolds imo. And we wouldn't even miss them if Carlos Rodon took the spot they were competing for.

But if they do add one... they could add the right bats by trades with the starting pitching depth it would create in the group of Miller/Hancock/Dollard/Woo.
I wanted them to trade Flexen and Marco, and go with the young guys, while putting more money toward the lineup. At this point, it's about building the best team for the playoffs, and the biggest issue is their lack of offense imo.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:05 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:09 am
From the Athletic:

The Mariners made the biggest trade of the offseason, so far, when they acquired two-time Silver Slugger Teoscar Hernández from the Blue Jays for reliever Erik Swanson and minor-league pitcher Adam Macko. Hernández will play right field for Seattle and hit in the middle of the lineup. Team president Jerry Dipoto’s next goal is to upgrade second base or shortstop, with the idea that if they add a shortstop, incumbent J.P. Crawford would move to second base. The Mariners are expected to be in the bidding for one of the big four free-agent shortstops. However, they prefer to go the less-expensive trade route and have had discussions with the Yankees (on Gleyber Torres), the Brewers (Kolten Wong) and the Rays (Brandon Lowe). Seattle also would like to add a left-handed reliever and will probably solve that need via free agency. Finally, the Mariners seek a right-handed hitter who could platoon with either Jarred Kelenic in left field or Jesse Winker at DH. There’s no doubt Dipoto and the Mariners will make a few more moves this winter, so get your popcorn ready.

Could I go 2 for 2 in trade predictions?
Lowe was a guy that I wanted when we were doing all that 2B trade speculation scenarios. I just thought that they would be rebuffed because Lowe is on such a ream friendly deal.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:01 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:03 am
bpj wrote:

Really they should just be focusing on putting the best team possible on the field, right. That obviously does not include Marco. A difference of 7-8 wins in your estimation. They have both money and depth available.

If Marco is in the 2023 rotation when literally any available starting pitching option is better, they need their heads examined.

If they don't get Judge, Correa or Nimmo, their best chance to add high quality bats is probably to trade their MLB ready arms. You guys are right, they probably shouldn't trade Hancock and Dollard for a guy like Reynolds if they don't add another SP in front of them.

Hancock/Dollard/Kelenic is a great package for a guy like Reynolds imo. And we wouldn't even miss them if Carlos Rodon took the spot they were competing for.

But if they do add one... they could add the right bats by trades with the starting pitching depth it would create in the group of Miller/Hancock/Dollard/Woo.
I wanted them to trade Flexen and Marco, and go with the young guys, while putting more money toward the lineup. At this point, it's about building the best team for the playoffs, and the biggest issue is their lack of offense imo.
Agreed, I just believe that buying a SP and trading the young arms for offense (and Marco/Flexen for a bag of balls) accomplishes the same goal, but broadens their market for clear upgrades beyond just Judge and Nimmo in the outfield.

Hancock, Dollard, Miller and Woo aren't all going to make our rotation, even if we dont fill the 5 spot with a top free agent. There's no reason to stockpile minor league arms when we have obvious holes at other positions and 80% of our rotation locked in for 4+ years.

Pick the favorites they want to hold onto, and turn the others into an upgrade on offense. If it's supposedly difficult for us to sign free agent bats, they need to start working the system to their advantage.

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:21 am

bpj wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:
bpj wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:36 am

Agreed.

In other words, replacing Marco with another ace would add more wins than we're adding at any other position this offseason.
Yes, but at a point you need more runs, so focusing on spending the money on an OF, DH and 2B will do more for the Mariners and their postseason chances. I won't be upset if they sign another starter by any means, but I'm also fine with them letting a younger guy have the chance to take the job like Hancock.

Agreed I'd be going hard after a guy like Rodon just keep it under the radar. Then with that plethora of pitching, hopefully deal for Reynolds. I'd also seriously inquire on McNeil. You know the guy we should of had in the Cano/Diaz deal. That is seriously a lineup you can win with.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:40 am

Here is the value of our top prospects. The top 5 only combine for 38.6 vs. Bryan Reynolds at almost 60. Maybe something can get done for him but this website strongly disagrees.
prospects.JPG
prospects.JPG (50.48 KiB) Viewed 255 times
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:54 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:21 am
bpj wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:

Agreed I'd be going hard after a guy like Rodon just keep it under the radar. Then with that plethora of pitching, hopefully deal for Reynolds. I'd also seriously inquire on McNeil. You know the guy we should of had in the Cano/Diaz deal. That is seriously a lineup you can win with.
Imagine if we would have asked for McNeil instead of JK. WAR since the trade:

JK -2.0
JM 13.7
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:28 pm

This is such a simplistic mentality. Almost all hitters will be better and a 100 wRC+ and OPS+ will be a higher bar so signing a guy specifically because of the new shift rules is absurd.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:43 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:28 pm
This is such a simplistic mentality. Almost all hitters will be better and a 100 wRC+ and OPS+ will be a higher bar so signing a guy specifically because of the new shift rules is absurd.
A strange sect of Mariners Twitter has a weird kink where they fall in love with mediocre players.

The guy is 37 years old and hasn't had an OPS over .700 since 2019.

BUT I'M SO SAD!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:48 pm

It is freakin bizarre. Especially the "Don't give up on JK, he is only 23!" subset.
dt