Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by bpj » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:42 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:31 am
harmony wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:40 pm
The Mariners sign infielder Tommy La Stella to a Major League contract:

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/161 ... gr%5Etweet
Dipoto finally got his man. I remember the M's and Giants were in a bidding war for LA Stella. I was always wondering Dipoto would circle back around and get this guy. Cheaper version of Adam Frazier. Meh
Pretty much. La Stella had a 78 wRC+ in 2022, Frazier had an 81.

Not sure why Dipoto wanted another guy that was 22% below league average..

He basically fills the same hole as Wong.

Not sure why they needed this guy.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:08 am

I really like the LaStella signing. It's won't be great if he's starting, but as a bench piece it totally makes sense. I felt pretty similar about Adam Frazier. If either player is starting, you're probably a second division team. But the profiles of both players make much more sense for a contending team, if they're on the bench. Great move. Since this is a major league deal, it probably makes Colin Moran more of a longshot to start the year in Seattle, which is fine.

1B: France
2B: Wong
SS: JP
3B: Geno
RF: Teo
CF: Julio
LF: JK/Trammell/Marlowe
C: Cal
DH: Pollock

Backup Catcher: Tom Murphy
Backup INF: Dylan Moore
Backup INF: Tommy LaStella
Backup OF: Sam Haggerty

That's 13 position players. Assuming JK wins the left field slot, it pushes Trammell, Marlowe, and Moran to Tacoma, but of course Spring Training performance will have a lot to say about that, and injuries of course. Cooper Hummel is another one that likely starts in Tacoma. He's supposed to absolutely terrible as a catcher, so I wonder if he's actually viable as your 3rd catcher call-up guy.

Am I forgetting anyone?

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:48 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:08 am
I really like the LaStella signing. It's won't be great if he's starting, but as a bench piece it totally makes sense. I felt pretty similar about Adam Frazier. If either player is starting, you're probably a second division team. But the profiles of both players make much more sense for a contending team, if they're on the bench. Great move. Since this is a major league deal, it probably makes Colin Moran more of a longshot to start the year in Seattle, which is fine.

That's 13 position players. Assuming JK wins the left field slot, it pushes Trammell, Marlowe, and Moran to Tacoma, but of course Spring Training performance will have a lot to say about that, and injuries of course. Cooper Hummel is another one that likely starts in Tacoma. He's supposed to absolutely terrible as a catcher, so I wonder if he's actually viable as your 3rd catcher call-up guy.

Am I forgetting anyone?
This is a brilliant low key add! From 2017 to 2020 he was a .294//.358///.441 triple slash good for a .800 OPS guy from the left side. He has gap power and I could see him spot starting vs righties in the two hole.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:49 am

bpj wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:42 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:31 am
harmony wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:40 pm
The Mariners sign infielder Tommy La Stella to a Major League contract:

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/161 ... gr%5Etweet
Dipoto finally got his man. I remember the M's and Giants were in a bidding war for LA Stella. I was always wondering Dipoto would circle back around and get this guy. Cheaper version of Adam Frazier. Meh
Pretty much. La Stella had a 78 wRC+ in 2022, Frazier had an 81.

Not sure why Dipoto wanted another guy that was 22% below league average..

He basically fills the same hole as Wong.

Not sure why they needed this guy.
Maybe he's hoping for a bounceback? It's just another sign that the trade market didn't go his way as he anticipated. After all these big deals I can't help but wonder if the M's will be willing to take on some bad contracts later on down the road. LaStella basically fills that AAA Donovan Walton position for us. You're here in case the shit hits the fan type thing.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:13 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:48 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:08 am

Am I forgetting anyone?
This is a brilliant low key add! From 2017 to 2020 he was a .294//.358///.441 triple slash good for a .800 OPS guy from the left side. He has gap power and I could see him spot starting vs righties in the two hole.
IF he stays healthy.........and IF he makes the roster I agree.
IF he doesn't make the 40-man......San Francisco is on the hook for $11million and the Mariners lose only $750K.
I do hope however this is NOT the bat they said they were looking for but simply a backup option.
God knows Jerry loves to freakin dumpster dive.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:16 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:49 am
LaStella basically fills that AAA Donovan Walton position for us. You're here in case the shit hits the fan type thing.
Well yeah, except that LaStella, if there's anything left in the tank, can actually hit a little bit. I like the bench for 2023 much more than I did going into 2022.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:28 am

La Stella is a low risk signing like the Eric Hosmer signing by the Cubs. If he doesn't make the OD roster, the M's can just DFA him.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:37 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:16 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:49 am
LaStella basically fills that AAA Donovan Walton position for us. You're here in case the shit hits the fan type thing.
Well yeah, except that LaStella, if there's anything left in the tank, can actually hit a little bit. I like the bench for 2023 much more than I did going into 2022.
You mean you won't miss these guys?

Luis Torren 0.0 WAR
Jack Larsen 0.0 WAR
Brian O'Keefe 0.0 WAR
Marcus Wilson 0.0 WAR
Travis Jankowski -0.1 WAR
Andrew Knapp -0.2 WAR
Jake Lamb -0.2 WAR
Danny F'n Walton -0.2 WAR
Justin Upton -0.3 WAR
Steven Sousa Jr. -0.3 WAR
Mike Ford -0.4 WAR