Re: Let's Ride! Broncos' Country Amusement Thread

Post by D-train » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:26 pm

dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:06 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:26 pm
Again, Pete says Russ needs a run game and defense, and he's holding Russ back!

The built-in Russell Wilson has a bad O Line is funny. The way he plays makes it hard on the O Line because the only thing that makes him close to great is off script stuff.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:08 pm

Got my Popcorn ready.... I think they will be better but more mid than a good team.
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:40 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:08 pm
Got my Popcorn ready.... I think they will be better but more mid than a good team.
they have a good roster, but aren't like all of their WRs hurt? That could make the start of the season rough, and as we saw last year, if Russ doesn't start off well, the heat is going to come down even more. It will be interesting.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:52 pm

This has both us and the Broncos with an over under at 8.5 :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/2 ... redictions
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:41 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:06 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:26 pm
Again, Pete says Russ needs a run game and defense, and he's holding Russ back!

The built-in Russell Wilson has a bad O Line is funny. The way he plays makes it hard on the O Line because the only thing that makes him close to great is off script stuff.

This is the same approach he took on new Orleans. First thing he does is revamp the offense line. Payton is known for his great lines. And it's not just about RW, it plays into the focus on the run game as well. Might be kinda interesting to follow as sort of the opposite of PC who seemed to neglect the O line

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:23 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:41 pm

This is the same approach he took on new Orleans. First thing he does is revamp the offense line. Payton is known for his great lines. And it's not just about RW, it plays into the focus on the run game as well. Might be kinda interesting to follow as sort of the opposite of PC who seemed to neglect the O line
I think this is a misconception about Pete. He didn't neglect the OL, he just isn't very good at evaluating OL talent. They spent a lot of draft capital on picks. They took Okung with their first pick, James Carpenter and John Moffitt with their first two picks the following year, Justin Britt with their 2nd pick a few years later, Terry Poole and Glowinski in the 4th, Ifedi in the first, Pocic in the 2nd, Haynes in the 4th, Lewis with a high 3rd, then Cross and Lucas last year. That isn't neglecting, that is just failing to find top tier talent.

Russ made the OL look worse than it was stat-wise, too. I think that'll happen in Denver this year... again.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:10 am

What it comes down to is budget, how you set priorities. I don't believe historically Pete has spent a lot on his offensive lines. He does O lines on a budget
There have certainly been ups and downs through the years, with the lowest point likely being the 2016 season that saw the team use a group of youngsters and journeymen that many fans had never heard of. The group saw games started by the likes of Bradley Sewell, George Fant, Mark Glowinski, Justin Britt, Joey Hunt, J’Marcus Webb, Germain Ifedi and Garry Gilliam, which was the least expensive offensive line in the NFL that season.
It's interesting, many of those guys are still in the NFL. I don't think it was so much talent as experience. They were willing to draft guys and tolerate inconsistent play by sticking them in the line. It was a way to save money
From last season
Fant is rumored to be the likely starter at left tackle for the New York Jets this season, having taken the starting role from former first round pick Mekhi Becton in 2021. Glowinski is expected to be the starter at right guard for the New York Giants this season, after nearly four years as a starter at that spot for the Indianapolis Colts. Britt started at center for the Houston Texans in 2021, and while it can be debated whether the Texans should be considered an NFL team, he’s set to do so again in 2022 after signing a two year contract this offseason. Even Ifedi started at guard and tackle for the Bears the past two seasons until a knee injury derailed his 2021 season, but is reportedly set to be the swing tackle for the Atlanta Falcons this season.
And again, last season
the Seahawks are not just one Gabe Jackson away from having the least experienced line in the NFL, they are one Gabe Jackson away from having the least expensive line in the NFL.
It's a different approach from Payton who really focuses on the O line. He's never had a line that didn't grade in the upper half league wise. Last season the broncos line was ranked 23rd I believe. He got rid of it

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:03 am

Seems like click bait to rank lines before the season starts but here is PFF ranking

Payton has moved them up ten spots
11. DENVER BRONCOS (UP 10)
Projected Starting Lineup
LT Garett Bolles
LG Ben Powers
C Lloyd Cushenberry III
RG Quinn Meinerz
RT Mike McGlinchey

The hiring of Sean Payton this offseason came with a clear focus on improving an offensive line that was never quite as bad as it looked in 2022. Denver’s line ranked 20th on the season in PFF pass-blocking efficiency, but Russell Wilson was the second-worst quarterback in the league at converting pressure into sacks, warping the view of the line’s performance.
Hawks with the worst line in the league
30. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (DOWN 3)
Projected Starting Lineup
LT Charles Cross
LG Damien Lewis
C Evan Brown
RG Phil Haynes – Rotated off the bench at RG in 2022
RT Abraham Lucas

Seattle’s line largely rests on the development of its young tackles, Charles Cross and Abraham Lucas. While both played well early, each fell off substantially as their rookie seasons wore on. If those tackles play well, this ranking is too low. But if they don’t improve, this is a group that could struggle badly given its interior personnel.
I'm not concerned about RW getting his comeuppance. But now that I've studied Payton a little it could be interesting to see how it plays out. Getting Garett Bolles and Javonte Williams back, things could fall Paytons way. He could have stepped into a situation and be rewarded with a big turnaround

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:56 pm

So,
If Russ has another horrible season and get's benched (and traded for a 3rd round pick) does he still [someday] make the HOF?