Should we be worried about Geno's play?

Captain 97

Re: Should we be worried about Geno's play?

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:17 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:03 pm
Not sure we're getting $40ish million worth of performance out of Geno Smith at the moment.

He's 19th in passing yards/YPG, 10th in QBR, 12th in TD passes... Overall it's just been pretty average.

Now, has his offensive line been as issue? Yes. Do I think he's seeing the field well right now? No. His decision making has been quite suspect and/or he seems to be in extreme caution mode to avoid mistakes. If I'm DK, Lockett, JSN... I'm really not happy w. the lack of balls being put in the air at my direction. The WR core is too good for this little of production.

I'm also really starting to grow tired of this "chip on my shoulder" mindset that is causing him to get quite aggravated and led to a personal conduct flag in yesterday's game. He's getting really testy/angry every game that doesn't go well for him and it steams over to sideline bullshit and poor body language on the field.

Long story short, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and play better for what he's getting paid.

Despite some incompletions, I thought Drew Lock ran circles around him in the 5 minutes he played w. his ability to move in the pocket and see the field.
There are 32 teams in the league. 10th in QBR and 12th in TD's is well above average. Yardage is a function of system He is 21st in the league in attempts.
He is the 18th highest paid QB in the League by AAV so I think they are getting a great deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/av ... arterback/

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:19 pm

Yeah, 10th in QBR isn't average

Nwadventure

Post by Nwadventure » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:20 pm

Gotta say I wasn't too excited to see him back into the game after the injury- Lock seemed to be more in-tune with the offense.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:25 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:17 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:59 pm
And he avg'd 5.5 yards per completion which is dog shit.

He missed the final 5 minutes of the 2nd Q which was 2x drives total, one of which led to a TD, another where they handed the ball off to drain the clock heading into the half so he really only missed 1x legit chance to move the ball.

The Hawks punted on 3 of his first 4 drives in 5 plays or less. They only had 4 drives out of 11 that extended further than 5 plays for the game... two of which were ran by Drew Lock.

That's pathetic.
I am looking forward to the Drew Lock era....Might come as soon as next year.
Yeah, it's interesting Hawks becoming a QB factory

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:20 pm

They refurbish old broken-down units.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:45 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:20 pm
You could even say it started with Hasselbeck, for that matter.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:18 am

It doesn't strike me as something fans would have figured Pete be any good at. Pete the QB whisperer lol

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:21 am

57reasons wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:45 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:20 pm
You could even say it started with Hasselbeck, for that matter.
if we can include Hasselbeck, then Zorn was the OG. He wasn't even playing football when they signed him.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:27 am

And then evolved to Dave Krieg, two UDFAs in a row

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:25 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:17 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:03 pm
Not sure we're getting $40ish million worth of performance out of Geno Smith at the moment.

He's 19th in passing yards/YPG, 10th in QBR, 12th in TD passes... Overall it's just been pretty average.

Now, has his offensive line been as issue? Yes. Do I think he's seeing the field well right now? No. His decision making has been quite suspect and/or he seems to be in extreme caution mode to avoid mistakes. If I'm DK, Lockett, JSN... I'm really not happy w. the lack of balls being put in the air at my direction. The WR core is too good for this little of production.

I'm also really starting to grow tired of this "chip on my shoulder" mindset that is causing him to get quite aggravated and led to a personal conduct flag in yesterday's game. He's getting really testy/angry every game that doesn't go well for him and it steams over to sideline bullshit and poor body language on the field.

Long story short, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and play better for what he's getting paid.

Despite some incompletions, I thought Drew Lock ran circles around him in the 5 minutes he played w. his ability to move in the pocket and see the field.
There are 32 teams in the league. 10th in QBR and 12th in TD's is well above average. Yardage is a function of system He is 21st in the league in attempts.
He is the 18th highest paid QB in the League by AAV so I think they are getting a great deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/av ... arterback/
Is it though?

A lack of attempts also boils down to a lack of ability to stay on the field to some measure.

You get 3x first downs in a drive and flip the field you're going to have more attempts.

You go 3 and out as often as Geno did last week, the attempts are going to be way down.