Bob's grades

Donn Beach

Re: Bob's grades

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:14 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:06 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:37 pm
For me it's about execution. It isn't coming up with fancier plays, it's executing the ones you have properly
But to execute plays properly, don't you have to work with what the opposition is giving you? Meaning, you can't just impose your will on a team, you have to execute according to what might work given the defense that you're facing. Am I correct in saying this? Or completely off base?

I think this could be tied to PC's unwillingness to adapt. ?
Sure, if they have the box stacked you look to alternatives. I don't know much, I just think it comes down to execution on a basic level. I keep hearing, Pete imposing his will. To me it's more give me a list of teams that made it to a SB that couldn't run between the tackles. If you're having trouble doing it the answer isn't fancy plays, it's fixing the reason you're having trouble doing it

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:32 pm

Article from after the Rams game on how Pete actually doesn't like to run the ball. Is the, Pete wants to impose his will running the ball accurate in the first place

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/9/14/23 ... -game-rams

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:33 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:09 pm

think lock is next man up if they give up on smith. That's why they traded for him and why he's still around. They could grab a guy in the draft but I don't think it be where they had to commit to starting him
Which was my point. They aren't using a first round pick on a guy that they plan on playing behind Drew Lock or Geno Smith. So, IMO, they aren't taking a QB early this year, since they don't even have a second round pick.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:38 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:06 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:37 pm
For me it's about execution. It isn't coming up with fancier plays, it's executing the ones you have properly
But to execute plays properly, don't you have to work with what the opposition is giving you? Meaning, you can't just impose your will on a team, you have to execute according to what might work given the defense that you're facing. Am I correct in saying this? Or completely off base?

I think this could be tied to PC's unwillingness to adapt. ?
I don't think you are off base at all. I think the fact that they seem to be robotic is a part of why the execution sucks. You can almost promise that early in the game they are going with a simply dive play on first down. There is no play action on early downs, nothing to throw anyone off. They simply resign themselves to the fact that they will be second and long. I can't remember the last time we ran out of a spread formation. It is ridiculous how fucking basic our run game is. Not to mention, they ran just about every goal line play out of the shotgun, forcing the back to take off way behind the LOS from a stand still. Watching us run the ball shouldn't be this painful, but fuck it's frustrating. I can't imagine K 9 or Charbonnett are all that thrilled with it. Not to mention we are doing our O Line ZERO favors with this absolute lack of creativity. We simply slam our head into a brick wall and raise our hands and say "well, we tried!" It's ugly ass football.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:59 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:32 pm
Article from after the Rams game on how Pete actually doesn't like to run the ball. Is the, Pete wants to impose his will running the ball accurate in the first place

The article seems to point out Carroll's stubbornness. Once he's made up his mind to do something, he's sticking with it come high or hell water. Whether it's run or pass. Again, my concern is his seemingly unwillingness to adapt.
Michael K. wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:38 pm
I think the fact that they seem to be robotic is a part of why the execution sucks. You can almost promise that early in the game they are going with a simply dive play on first down.
Agreed.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:14 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:32 pm

I was talking with regard to how they are trying to run the ball, not how often.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:23 pm

Getting a bit concerned on Pete’s ability to get the team where it needs to be. Last 6 years 2 no playoffs and only 1 playoff win.

And are we really that good this year?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:10 pm

The roster is probably as good as it's been since 2015 but they are soft as marshmallows. That much became apparent last week and the beatdown will hopefully help the [younger] players understand how much harder they need to work.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:08 pm

Gametime wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:23 pm
Getting a bit concerned on Pete’s ability to get the team where it needs to be. Last 6 years 2 no playoffs and only 1 playoff win.

And are we really that good this year?
Blasphemy. He won a ring so you must Kiss it! Haha.

I lost faith in another Super Bowl a few years ago. Pete needs a team that perfectly fits his style. What sucks is he had it. Second and goal didn’t have to be the end of the dynasty…but when there was no accountability for it? He lost the team. He assembled a bunch of young and hungry individuals, but then expected them to just confirm after that. They wanted blood. Firing Bevell might not have been the best idea, but the fact that Pete blamed himself, Russ blamed himself and Bevell blamed Ricardo Lockett? Bad shit.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:10 pm

Wow the rook needed to get something off his chest:
dt