Jamal retiring?

Michael K.

Re: Jamal retiring?

Post by Michael K. » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:13 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:01 am
I think what really happened to Carroll was he went to two SB's fairly quickly and became an instant legend who existed in a power vaccuum. It's understandable, there was a lot of success, but then it became fleeting, then untenable as the defense was flat out embarrassing and the team lacked any identity, as if in a permanent 'state of transition'. I donlt know if PC was ever really challenged up until the end. I heard a rumor that PC had told Jody he was retiring at the enmd of the season - and at the end of the season he wanted to backtrack and stay and she said no. I think he knew it was over lpong before the end of the season. I hate to think his legacy will diminish quickly in the rear view - he was great - but how long was he REALLY great for? How many season's out of 14 was he really great? I guess that'll be debated for some time.
Agreed. I have often felt like he was a victim of his own success. He came here, did things differently, won a ring, and decided that obviously he knows more than everyone else, and THIS IS THE WAY. Yep, it's the way when you have unicorns like Lynch, Wilson (read option not married to a pop star Wilson) a mauling O Line (Unger and Okung were pretty damn good) the Nascar Defense (those pass rushers were nuts) a young and hungry Bobby and KJ, and the fucking LOB. That doesn't happen all the time.

To the competition point? My issue was always that it wasn't across the board, and it certainly didn't apply to his coaches. The slant to a fucking special teamer in the Super Bowl was indefensible. Flat out egregious! Bevel should have been scapegoated. It is possible that Pete not only told them to throw the ball, but called that ridiculous play. But I find it curious that all you ever hear is that Pete said to throw on second down, saving the timeout if needed for after third down. No one ever reported that Pete told him to run that play. Maybe that was the game plan for that situation? If it was? And Bevell didn't fight it? He should still have been scapegoated. A slant to Ricardo Lockette in the biggest moment of the biggest game!? They they claimed that Chris Mathews wasn't on the field because he didn't know the two minute offense. He scored a TD with 2 seconds left in the first half! I guess that isn't the two minute offense?

Sorry to pick that scab, but you can't talk about Carroll and his prideful sins without mentioning the worst play in Super Bowl history.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:20 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:13 pm
auroraave wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:01 am
I think what really happened to Carroll was he went to two SB's fairly quickly and became an instant legend who existed in a power vaccuum. It's understandable, there was a lot of success, but then it became fleeting, then untenable as the defense was flat out embarrassing and the team lacked any identity, as if in a permanent 'state of transition'. I donlt know if PC was ever really challenged up until the end. I heard a rumor that PC had told Jody he was retiring at the enmd of the season - and at the end of the season he wanted to backtrack and stay and she said no. I think he knew it was over lpong before the end of the season. I hate to think his legacy will diminish quickly in the rear view - he was great - but how long was he REALLY great for? How many season's out of 14 was he really great? I guess that'll be debated for some time.
Agreed. I have often felt like he was a victim of his own success. He came here, did things differently, won a ring, and decided that obviously he knows more than everyone else, and THIS IS THE WAY. Yep, it's the way when you have unicorns like Lynch, Wilson (read option not married to a pop star Wilson) a mauling O Line (Unger and Okung were pretty damn good) the Nascar Defense (those pass rushers were nuts) a young and hungry Bobby and KJ, and the fucking LOB. That doesn't happen all the time.

To the competition point? My issue was always that it wasn't across the board, and it certainly didn't apply to his coaches. The slant to a fucking special teamer in the Super Bowl was indefensible. Flat out egregious! Bevel should have been scapegoated. It is possible that Pete not only told them to throw the ball, but called that ridiculous play. But I find it curious that all you ever hear is that Pete said to throw on second down, saving the timeout if needed for after third down. No one ever reported that Pete told him to run that play. Maybe that was the game plan for that situation? If it was? And Bevell didn't fight it? He should still have been scapegoated. A slant to Ricardo Lockette in the biggest moment of the biggest game!? They they claimed that Chris Mathews wasn't on the field because he didn't know the two minute offense. He scored a TD with 2 seconds left in the first half! I guess that isn't the two minute offense?

Sorry to pick that scab, but you can't talk about Carroll and his prideful sins without mentioning the worst play in Super Bowl history.
Don't forget having two undrafted FA WRs with half the receptions in the SB win!!
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:23 pm

If it was still the 90's Pete would be able to make a smooth transition to the world of night-time infomercials alongside the likes of Tony Robbins, Ron Popeil, and Mathew Lesko. :lol:

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:45 pm

dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:08 pm

I have nothing against Jamal the person, but Jamal the player is toast.
It was me hearing Pete still act like Jamal was going to come back next year and contribute that pushed me over the edge in thinking Pete needed to go.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:56 pm

trharder wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:08 pm
I have nothing against Jamal the person, but Jamal the player is toast.
It was me hearing Pete still act like Jamal was going to come back next year and contribute that pushed me over the edge in thinking Pete needed to go.
PC leaving his office the final time. The paddle ball game is Jamal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VbI5zcB8Ac
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:24 am

I 've never seen The Jerk. Is it worth watching? I enjoyed Steve Martin in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:24 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:24 am
I 've never seen The Jerk. Is it worth watching? I enjoyed Steve Martin in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
Absolutely! All time great comedy. imo
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:58 pm

Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:46 am
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:10 pm
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:27 pm
Carroll was just a motivational speaker the past several years. Why do you think he promoted guys to DC that had been defensive position coaches with him earlier? He wanted guys that knew the system because he didn't want to be coaching scheme to them. So blame him for putting incompetent guys in charge of implementing his D, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad scheme.
So, he hired guys that already knew his scheme, they continued to coach his scheme, but it didn't work....and it couldn't possibly be the scheme? :shock:
Well okay, i guess you called my bluff then. It was mainly speculation, but i thought i would throw it out there and see if it struck a chord with anyone. :ugeek:
I'm not convinced it was the scheme. There were several factors that all came together, as i saw it. Players out of position, players who can't simply tackle (possibly because of lack of tackling in practice?), players who were completely checked out - I swear I saw a lot of plays where guys like Diggs were making little to no effort at all. Then, when Nwosu went down, It all kinda culminated in shit show charlie. while a defense is a collection of moving parts, they all need too be in sync, and that clearly was not the case for many reasons. I am not defending the scheme, it's not even clear what they were trying to do anymore besides set the record for most third-and-longs given up, but it really looked like an attitude and focus problem first. Nwosu going down was a huge blow - imagine what macdonald can do with this talent. Diggs may be the most disappointing player of all for me. Just half-assed so many plays. Scheme? Maybe, but maybe it's on the players who were checked out - and that may be on Pete more than the scheme. If I am macdonald watching tape on this defense, Diggs is the first guy gone.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:37 pm

Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:24 am
I love this type of comedy and this movie is full of it. Might not be for everybody...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0CrQHDyBzo
dt