D-train

Re: Super Bowl

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:16 pm

Seems Shanahan was an idiot too.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:32 pm

Beyond belief they didn't know the rule...
dt

douche

Post by douche » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:57 pm

Yikes.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:22 pm

Shanahan seemed to understand how the rules worked

Shanahan explained that he was thinking several moves ahead after the winning coin toss, looking toward a potential third overtime possession when the game becomes sudden death.

“None of us have a ton of experience with it,” Shanahan said. “We went through all the analytics and talked to those guys. We decided it would be better getting the ball because if both teams matched and scored, we wanted to be the ones to have a chance to go win it.”

NFL regular-season overtime rules only allow both teams a possession if the first team does not score a touchdown, so coin-toss winners almost always choose to receive the kickoff for the chance to end the game.

But the overtime rules are closer to the college football model, where the reward for playing defense first is knowing exactly how many points your team needs on the second possession to tie or win the game.

“We got that field goal. We knew we had to hold them to at least a field goal,” Shanahan said. “If we did, we thought it was in our hands after that.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:22 pm
Shanahan seemed to understand how the rules worked

Shanahan explained that he was thinking several moves ahead after the winning coin toss, looking toward a potential third overtime possession when the game becomes sudden death.

“None of us have a ton of experience with it,” Shanahan said. “We went through all the analytics and talked to those guys. We decided it would be better getting the ball because if both teams matched and scored, we wanted to be the ones to have a chance to go win it.”

NFL regular-season overtime rules only allow both teams a possession if the first team does not score a touchdown, so coin-toss winners almost always choose to receive the kickoff for the chance to end the game.

But the overtime rules are closer to the college football model, where the reward for playing defense first is knowing exactly how many points your team needs on the second possession to tie or win the game.

“We got that field goal. We knew we had to hold them to at least a field goal,” Shanahan said. “If we did, we thought it was in our hands after that.”
Makes sense. Saved his ass...Thankfully they fixed the rules. They are as good as they can be now. imo
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:32 pm

Devil's advocate though. If they gave the Chiefs the first possession and they scored the TD like they did then the 49ers would know not to go for a FG. But year if you can't count on that D to hold them to a FG then you don't deserve to win.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:58 pm

I have a buddy that has coached a lot of football. I asked him after the Chiefs got the ball back if he thought SF made a mistake. He felt like the 9er Defense was gassed, and that's why Kyle decided to take the ball.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:46 pm

I thought I was gonna win the one point in our CBS Pool this week. Had the 49ers and the lowest tie breaking point total amongst the 49er picks. I am shocked that after riding CMC like a rented mule all year long, they went away from him late yesterday. Then I look at the stats and he had 22 carries. Just glaring when he wasn't used I guess. They should have gone three and out in OT without him even getting a carry, but got bailed out by a defensive holding call. Then they leaned on him, and he got them into scoring range. That said? 22 carries is a decent amount, but 6 of them came in OT. In a game that was that close, 16 carries for CMC is not great.

He didn't manage the clock very well to finish the first half either. You have to give some credit to the Chiefs obviously, but 2 catches for 4 yards for Kittle? Debo had 11 targets and only 3 catches? Not a great day for Shannahan. That said? You don't have a punt bounce off a foot or your kicker makes the Xtra point? And I missed the Xtra point, it wasn't blocked? They kept saying he missed it....I saw the after math of them chasing the ball and just assumed it got blocked.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:31 pm

From USA Today:

"Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said he doesn't think there's a correct or incorrect way to approach overtime in the playoffs, and he's not about to doubt Shanahan's decision to receive the ball first.

"I'm not sure there's a right answer, necessarily," Reid said. "Ours ended up being the right one. But that easily could've gone the other way. That's what we felt was the right thing to do."