Huskies ranked 10 in Big 10 Media poll

Captain 97

Re: Huskies ranked 10 in Big 10 Media poll

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:09 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 4:34 am
Yeah, twelve teams, here's the rest of the story. I've become curious about Rutgers obviously. The consensus seems to be they should have a pretty good team. they've added some pieces to a returning core, a quarterback being the significant guy. They are considered to have a good defense. I've decided the huskies season turns on if they can finish ahead of them
Kirk Herbstreit is one of the top voices in college football, both on College Game Day and in the booth.

So, how much does the former Ohio State quarterback really know? Rutgers fans are hoping a whole lot after his latest comments.

Herbstreit was a guest on The Pat McAfee Show when discussing the 2024 College Football Playoff. With the field expanding to 12 this year, there will be a lot of extra teams fighting for at-large bids. The Power Four champs will automatically earn a spot.

The Big Ten has expanded with the addition of Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA. Herbstreit believes that there will be a surprise team in the field and it could come out of the Big Ten.
Its weird how you have become obsessed with Rutgers.
Anyway if the consensus is that they should have a pretty good team, How come they didn't get a single vote in either the AP or the Coaches Poll? It would seem that the consensus of the AP writers is that they are no better than 43rd in the country and the consensus of the coaches is that they are no better than 59th.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Aug 23, 2024 5:17 am

Weird? The Huskies are in the same confrence with them now. Im curious to see how they match up. I dont see anything inconsistent with saying they are considered pretty good and being ranked 43, that puts them in the top third of division one schools.

FOX has them 36
Hey, Rutgers is good, and Rutgers returns the leading rusher in the Big Ten, which bears repeating. Kyyle Monagai rushed for 1,262 yards in 2023, with seven 100-yard rushing performances.

Didn’t expect to write that at this time last year, but the Scarlet Knights not only made a bowl game but won one against Miami for the first time since 2014.

This year’s roster might be Greg Schiano’s best since he won 11 at Rutgers 18 years ago, and he has the most accommodating schedule in the Big Ten: No Ohio State, no Michigan, no Oregon, no Iowa. UCLA comes to Piscataway, and their toughest away game is at the Coliseum.
I think actually the reason is there is a ton of content produced about them, hype. Feeds into my tendancy to like to search a subject. Why would anybody be interested in rutgers football? I guess there is a pretty big population base that follows them, new jersey.

Heres an article just on their lack of being ranked

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2024 ... votes.html

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:10 pm

Cap's reference to 43rd in the country was in reference to they didn't get any votes in the AP poll. What that means is the 42nd ranked team received 1 vote. He didn't say they were rated 43rd in the country.

Cap's quote:
It would seem that the consensus of the AP writers is that they are no better than 43rd in the country
Your quote:
I don't see anything inconsistent with saying they are considered pretty good and being ranked 43

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:10 pm

Again, being "pretty good" in my mind doesn't warrant being a top 25 team so they didnt recieve a vote to be a top 25 team. You guys want to spend your time debating semantics go for it, lol Must be Princeton fans here.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:59 pm

Bowl game projections, Huskies in the Holiday Bowl, Rutgers in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... 8014c9c438

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Aug 24, 2024 3:07 pm

Preseason rankings are a joke. Imagine the difference if they stopped coming up with a preconceived notion in July, and actually watched some football for a month before putting this shit together? It’s all so guys like us will spend time talking about it. But I still hate how it impacts things. Seems like it has happened every year where some team starts out the season 15th or lower…goes on a winning streak the first two months of the season, but still can’t crack the top 5 based on what someone who had never seen them play has done.

Ranking them before they play has always been dumb, but now? With how many changes occur? That said, didnt Colorado almost crack the Top 10 last year after beating nobody? It’s all just one big hype machine anyway. I’m sure excited for the 12 team playoff. Makes the bullshit committee and the polls a little less life and death. Also means these kids won’t hang it up and prepare for the pros quite as early now.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Aug 24, 2024 5:47 pm

Bowl game projections before the season has started, how nutty is that, clickbait nonsense, Im a sucker for it :lol:

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Aug 25, 2024 1:34 am

Complaining about the Seahawks being ranked too low in the preseaaon power rankings. lol

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1781769/ ... be-higher/

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:21 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 5:17 am
Weird? The Huskies are in the same confrence with them now. Im curious to see how they match up. I dont see anything inconsistent with saying they are considered pretty good and being ranked 43, that puts them in the top third of division one schools.

FOX has them 36
Hey, Rutgers is good, and Rutgers returns the leading rusher in the Big Ten, which bears repeating. Kyyle Monagai rushed for 1,262 yards in 2023, with seven 100-yard rushing performances.

Didn’t expect to write that at this time last year, but the Scarlet Knights not only made a bowl game but won one against Miami for the first time since 2014.

This year’s roster might be Greg Schiano’s best since he won 11 at Rutgers 18 years ago, and he has the most accommodating schedule in the Big Ten: No Ohio State, no Michigan, no Oregon, no Iowa. UCLA comes to Piscataway, and their toughest away game is at the Coliseum.
I think actually the reason is there is a ton of content produced about them, hype. Feeds into my tendancy to like to search a subject. Why would anybody be interested in rutgers football? I guess there is a pretty big population base that follows them, new jersey.

Heres an article just on their lack of being ranked

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2024 ... votes.html
Yes your obsession s weird. There are 16 other teams in the conference. When can we expect to see your 25 posts with links random links about Northwestern and Purdue?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:44 am

You seem pretty obsessed as well. So whos the tougher opponent, USC or Wahington?

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2024/0 ... t-rutgers/