Stone on the step back

bpj

Re: Stone on the step back

Post by bpj » Sun May 26, 2019 12:28 am

D-train wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:01 am
Freespeech wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm
It seems to me the Mariners already blinked on the rebuild. Divish did a great article on the discussions after last season between JD, SS, Stanton and Larson. First off it showed where the decisions are made with this ownership group; Stanton and Larson. Period.

So it went from rebuild to "step back" because they chickened out. The plan now is to be a contender in 2021. This club needs a change in culture not a change (barely) in strategy. They are still building around a core, but it's a core made up of players who may or may not be MLB caliber. At the end of the day they fear decreased attendance more than they want a competitive club. If they BS enough fans into believing they are or will soon be a contender then that will just have to do.
They have been absurdly saying they expect to compete mid 2020. Do they expect attendance to go up 50% next July even though they are 15 games out of first because they are now ready to compete. More inane marketing I suspect. Don't want to piss off a fan base that has waited almost 20 years for playoffs because they have to wait another half season.
That is an interesting timeframe.

Gives them this trade deadline, next offseason and the next trade deadline to fill their vacancies with quality players instead of this filler nonsense:

1B: Vacant
2B: Long
3B: Seager
SS: Crawford
LF: Santana
CF: Vacant
RF: Haniger
DH: Vogelbach
SP1: Vacant
SP2: Vacant
SP3: Gonzales
SP4: Kikuchi
SP5: Vacant

Bullpen: Vacant

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sun May 26, 2019 1:00 am

That's a very accurate list I believe.

I have posted this before but the Mariners remind me of a slow-motion version of the Sonics from 1997 to 2007. Wally Walker tore down a perpetually competitive team to "rebuild while staying good." As we now know he accomplished neither. His biggest flaw among many large flaws was deciding well in advance the result of his moves. He maneuvered to get two 1st round draft choices in 2003 and took Luke Ridnour and Nick Collison. WW then declared these were the players he would build around along with Ray Allen.

The problem was Luke and Nick were decent players but reserves at best, and Allen had his greatest success when he was the 3rd or 4th best player and not the go-to guy the Sonics needed.

I see the M's doing the same which is also eerily similar to the Dustin Ackley fiasco. They moved him to 2B and declared him a super star. Remember following the "Big 3" Paxton, Walker, and Hultzen when they were with the Jackson club and on? That was the rotation of the future.

I mean everyone likes their own young guys, but the M's seem to get a few (think Smoak, Montero, et.al.) and just quit. You need numbers and the M's just don't have them.

And if anyone has a bat from "Dustin Ackley Bat Night" I would love to see it.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 1:42 am

bpj wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:28 am
D-train wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:01 am
Freespeech wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm
It seems to me the Mariners already blinked on the rebuild. Divish did a great article on the discussions after last season between JD, SS, Stanton and Larson. First off it showed where the decisions are made with this ownership group; Stanton and Larson. Period.

So it went from rebuild to "step back" because they chickened out. The plan now is to be a contender in 2021. This club needs a change in culture not a change (barely) in strategy. They are still building around a core, but it's a core made up of players who may or may not be MLB caliber. At the end of the day they fear decreased attendance more than they want a competitive club. If they BS enough fans into believing they are or will soon be a contender then that will just have to do.
They have been absurdly saying they expect to compete mid 2020. Do they expect attendance to go up 50% next July even though they are 15 games out of first because they are now ready to compete. More inane marketing I suspect. Don't want to piss off a fan base that has waited almost 20 years for playoffs because they have to wait another half season.
That is an interesting timeframe.

Gives them this trade deadline, next offseason and the next trade deadline to fill their vacancies with quality players instead of this filler nonsense:

1B: Vacant
2B: Long
3B: Seager
SS: Crawford
LF: Santana
CF: Vacant
RF: Haniger
DH: Vogelbach
SP1: Vacant
SP2: Vacant
SP3: Gonzales
SP4: Kikuchi
SP5: Vacant

Bullpen: Vacant
Bullpen: Vacant So concise yet so true. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 1:44 am

Gilbert and Sheff and Dunn will be in the rotation by 2021 Imagine so that's not as bad as it looks. I think Bishop will be able to put up a .750 OPS in CF which will work. If not we will have plenty of payroll by then for an FA.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun May 26, 2019 1:54 am

D-train wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:44 am
Gilbert and Sheff and Dunn will be in the rotation by 2021 Imagine so that's not as bad as it looks. I think Bishop will be able to put up a .750 OPS in CF which will work. If not we will have plenty of payroll by then for an FA.
What looks bad about Haniger in CF to you guys?

Haniger has a ton of pressure to have an .850 OPS in right field to be good, but he would be top 5 in CF.

Is Haniger even a downgrade defensively from Smith? I think not, so why this charade?

Make Haniger the CF with his .800 OPS and get another .850 OPS bat in RF. Why settle on Bishops .750 in any case?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 2:13 am

bpj wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:54 am
D-train wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:44 am
What looks bad about Haniger in CF to you guys?

Haniger has a ton of pressure to have an .850 OPS in right field to be good, but he would be top 5 in CF.

Is Haniger even a downgrade defensively from Smith? I think not, so why this charade?

Make Haniger the CF with his .800 OPS and get another .850 OPS bat in RF. Why settle on Bishops .750 in any case?
Yeah I am fine with it then move Santana back to RF and buy a LF.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 2:19 am

Notable FA OFers at the end of this season and next season:

2019-20 Outfield: Marcell Ozuna, Nicholas Castellanos, Yasiel Puig, Adam Eaton
2020-21 Outfield: Mookie Betts, George Springer, Yoenis Cespedes, David Peralta, Michael Brantley, Joc Pederson, Jackie Bradley Jr., Jay Bruce, Giancarlo Stanton (opt-out)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 2:21 am

Betts Springer and Mitch would be a pretty decent OF. Kelenic could also be ready by 2021
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun May 26, 2019 2:40 am

Plenty of options to never ever worry about getting a guy like Braden Bishop playing time. It shouldn't even be a consideration unless he starts hitting for a 1.000 OPS in AAA for an extended period.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sun May 26, 2019 5:48 pm

I believe I projected this fetid turd of a team to win 62 games this year.... I was shocked and in awe at the start of the season. Now for example, Miami added 17 prospects to their top 30 a year past when they began their rebuild. This year the M's added 8 players so we have a ways to go. I don't see the Marlins challenging yet. And we are behind them... We may as well have some fun with this, since this city has no pride.....Stick Vogelbach in center field...... or it it's too far for him to run... put him at shortstop. Reactivate Servais and make him catch.... Bring back Ichiro.... add a black hydro....have a "homeless in the park night"... This team is a joke..... and it's manager must be JD's knob slopper... If they draft a college pitcher in the first round....I will hang my head in misery but..... if they draft a college position player in the first round, I'll cancel my mlb.com subscription...give up on baseball

I've been out of town for a couple years.... may move out of country..follow a new sport...