Re: Dunbar's in the pokey

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:58 am

D-train wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:25 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:46 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:19 am
It just cracks me up how they don't even try to make it look like the athlete's own words. Even worse is when they attribute words like that for Hispanic baseball players who speak little English. Who exactly do they think falls for that?

Of course, it would be funny if he actually did say that himself.
Like I have mentioned I love when writers direct quote bad grammar and double negatives. I always wonder if they fix the grammar but keep the intent of the quote if the player will come out and say he was misquoted. lol
What makes this even worse is that NOBODY talks like that. I'll bet that not one single human being has ever uttered the words, "environments that may mischaracterize my values". I mean, TRY to make it look like something someone would actually say, like "situations that might be troublesome for me".

maoling

Post by maoling » Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Like I have mentioned I love when writers direct quote bad grammar and double negatives. I always wonder if they fix the grammar but keep the intent of the quote if the player will come out and say he was misquoted.

True story: The only time I intentionally misquoted someone was when I was writing a story about fecal coliforms that the state discovered in a local (small town) water system. Livestock grazed above the town's aquifer; big surprise they found poop in the water lol. There was an uproar at the town council meeting about this and the mayor, a real shitkicker, had obviously never heard of fecal coliforms before.

Mayor Shitkicker was forced to admit that there were feces in the drinking water, but he got mixed up and unfortunately said that the state had found a "fetus" in the aquifer. And he didn't even pronounce that correctly. Instead of saying "feet-us" he called it a "fett-us." :shock:

"It's true that the state did find a fett-us in the water," he said.

I so wanted to write the headline, "Fetus Found in Water Supply, Mayor Says" but I left it alone and wrote the story based on what he meant, not what he said. And he was talking feces out of his ass.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat May 23, 2020 3:26 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:58 am

What makes this even worse is that NOBODY talks like that. I'll bet that not one single human being has ever uttered the words, "environments that may mischaracterize my values". I mean, TRY to make it look like something someone would actually say, like "situations that might be troublesome for me".
Who cares?

maoling

Post by maoling » Sat May 23, 2020 4:24 pm

And speaking of pokey, the terminal tardation that is Ryan Leaf returned to the Graybar near Palm Springs yesterday for domestic battery.

Couldn't believe he was covering Coug games as an analyst last season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/292 ... ery-charge

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat May 23, 2020 4:32 pm

some guys just seem to have an internal trouble magnet pole. part of the reason i am so reticent to be critical of professional evalaluators is that i had been in favor of Indianapolis drafting Leaf first ahead of Peyton Manning. oops.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:29 pm

ThePro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:26 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:

Who cares?
It's an observation that's not necessarily critical but to answer your question, probably other people including some in this forum whether in a PR or even a humorous way. Believe it or not, there are other people in the world and you're not Omega Man.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat May 23, 2020 9:32 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:29 pm
ThePro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:26 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:

Who cares?
It's an observation that's not necessarily critical but to answer your question, probably other people including some in this forum whether in a PR or even a humorous way. Believe it or not, there are other people in the world and you're not Omega Man.
Doubtful. Give it some time I might end up being Charlton Heston.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 pm

Wow, looks like a cross between the Zombie Apocolypse and Mod Squad. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWB6Ufh4O98
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 pm

You never saw Omega Man? I love that movie . The best sci fi sound track ever IMO

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 23, 2020 10:03 pm

ThePro wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 pm

You never saw Omega Man? I love that movie . The best sci fi sound track ever IMO
No. Planet of the Apes was my Heston Sci Fi go to.
dt