Minor League Updates

Juliooooo

Re: Minor League Updates

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Honeyman is like filia. Great hit tool, not much power, rarely Ks. He does have a bit higher K rate and lower walk rate, but he did have 7HR this year which is better than Filia has ever had and is encouraging. One key difference is defense. Filia supposedly isn't a great defender, while Honeyman is supposed to be the best defensive 3B in the system.

Honeyman and Rizzo will be interesting to watch next year for 3B as far as of they can develop power. It will also be interesting to see how much Shenton and Scheiner play 3B next season.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Love this:
After Nicolas spoke and each of his coaches said a few words, he looked around at his players and asked if anyone had anything to say. After a few players spoke, Donnie Walton — the team’s shortstop and unquestioned leader of this collection of touted prospects and baseball grinders like himself — stepped forward and his emotions poured out.

“He said, ‘I couldn’t have done what I’ve done without this team. This team has meant so much to me,’ ” said pitcher Art Warren.

At that moment, Nicolas knew it was time. He interrupted Walton’s speech.

“Donnie, let me ask you something, do you want to keep playing?” Nicolas said, as players stared at him. “You want to play for two more weeks?”

“I was like, ‘Yeah, but what are you talking about?’ ” Walton recalled.

Nicolas stared at him, “Let me ask you this: Could you do it in Seattle?”

The clubhouse erupted in cheers. They knew he’d been called up to the big leagues. Walton fell to his knees, tears filling his eyes. His stellar season where he hit .300, while playing with the level and commitment expected from a coach’s son, had been rewarded.
“When he said Seattle, I just dropped to the ground and everyone went crazy,” he said. “It was probably one of the best moments of my life.”
dt

Wishhiker

Post by Wishhiker » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:07 pm
Dr Naysay wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:13 am
Caballero off to a good start on his rehab in Arizona.

Bobby Honeyman who was hot last season had a horrendous first month but has been very good last few weeks.

Devin Sweet got away with one a but yesterday but still a lot of SO and Dayeison Arias is still doing very well in relief
Mentioned Bobby a couple times this season, well Lookout Landing made some interesting points about him this off season.
Top position player: 3B Bobby Honeyman
After a slow start to the season, Bobby Two Bags emerged with a vengeance in the second half of the season, finishing with a line of .319/.386/.389 in the second half after hitting just .156 in the first month of the season. Honeyman hit 20 doubles and continued to be almost impossible to strike out (12.8% K rate) while playing an excellent third base. He won’t show up on top prospect lists this winter but if he can add just a little more pop to his bat at Modesto next year, the profile becomes much more interesting. Honeyman finished his season third among all Mariners minor leaguers in hits, tied with Jarred Kelenic.
What are you quoting? People not mentioning sources or linking is getting confusing.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I could swear I said Lookout Landing

Wishhiker

Post by Wishhiker » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 pm
Love this:
After Nicolas spoke and each of his coaches said a few words, he looked around at his players and asked if anyone had anything to say. After a few players spoke, Donnie Walton — the team’s shortstop and unquestioned leader of this collection of touted prospects and baseball grinders like himself — stepped forward and his emotions poured out.

“He said, ‘I couldn’t have done what I’ve done without this team. This team has meant so much to me,’ ” said pitcher Art Warren.

At that moment, Nicolas knew it was time. He interrupted Walton’s speech.

“Donnie, let me ask you something, do you want to keep playing?” Nicolas said, as players stared at him. “You want to play for two more weeks?”

“I was like, ‘Yeah, but what are you talking about?’ ” Walton recalled.

Nicolas stared at him, “Let me ask you this: Could you do it in Seattle?”

The clubhouse erupted in cheers. They knew he’d been called up to the big leagues. Walton fell to his knees, tears filling his eyes. His stellar season where he hit .300, while playing with the level and commitment expected from a coach’s son, had been rewarded.
“When he said Seattle, I just dropped to the ground and everyone went crazy,” he said. “It was probably one of the best moments of my life.”
That framing is so weird;"Walton... stepped forward/Art Warren speaking/Nocolas(who?) interrupts Walton"

Uhhh it's Warren that you showed speaking there, not Walton.

After the game Lewis talked about all of that. There's a video that someone posted. Pretty cool way to do it.

Wishhiker

Post by Wishhiker » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:37 pm
Honeyman is like filia. Great hit tool, not much power, rarely Ks. He does have a bit higher K rate and lower walk rate, but he did have 7HR this year which is better than Filia has ever had and is encouraging. One key difference is defense. Filia supposedly isn't a great defender, while Honeyman is supposed to be the best defensive 3B in the system.

Honeyman and Rizzo will be interesting to watch next year for 3B as far as of they can develop power. It will also be interesting to see how much Shenton and Scheiner play 3B next season.
So I did a Fangraphs look at the 3b prospects and #2 including all sss is the couple weeks that 2019 29th round pick spent in AA. Utah Jones hit .403/.492/.573 1.066 in 257 NCAA PA then 213 at 4 stops in the M's minors (Power twice). At the end of July and beginning of August he went 4 for 10 with a double in Arkansas. Every stop is super small samples but it's interesting that he got moved there at all and had success there so early. I've got no expectations, he's actually played much more SS/2b, but I'll be watching for him now.

Honeyman has always looked like a utility possibility and nothing has changed this year for me.

Shenton has been at 3b in 56% of his innings in the field on the farm and surprisingly in the outfield 19% of the time. Given his play I'd have him first on the farm as hopeful 3b.

Rizzo finally had a decent power uptick in his 3rd try at High A but he's still behind...a few others now. It's possible he becomes the favorite next year and it would be about time. It's good to finally have other names to talk about there in case he doesn't.

Scheiner played both OF and 1b more than 3b this year and I'm sure there's a reason. I'll be watching as well to see if they put him at 3b more often or have given up on his defense there. Because Scheiner and Shenton are the only ones that have shown good Corner infield offensive profiles.

Don't forget Milkar Perez, he had 100% of his play at 3b as a 17 year old in DSL and hit pretty well. Him Marte and Clase hopefully rise somewhat together and quicker than we're used to Latin players moving here before Julio. Not that I think they'll rise as quickly as Julio. I'd be tempted to put him at 2nd most likely at 3b already as only Shenton above him combined both offensive and defensive prowess that seem secure enough for their level.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor ... &sort=18,1

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Wishhiker wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:01 pm
Juliooooo wrote:

So I did a Fangraphs look at the 3b prospects and #2 including all sss is the couple weeks that 2019 29th round pick spent in AA. Utah Jones hit .403/.492/.573 1.066 in 257 NCAA PA then 213 at 4 stops in the M's minors (Power twice). At the end of July and beginning of August he went 4 for 10 with a double in Arkansas. Every stop is super small samples but it's interesting that he got moved there at all and had success there so early. I've got no expectations, he's actually played much more SS/2b, but I'll be watching for him now.

Honeyman has always looked like a utility possibility and nothing has changed this year for me.

Shenton has been at 3b in 56% of his innings in the field on the farm and surprisingly in the outfield 19% of the time. Given his play I'd have him first on the farm as hopeful 3b.

Rizzo finally had a decent power uptick in his 3rd try at High A but he's still behind...a few others now. It's possible he becomes the favorite next year and it would be about time. It's good to finally have other names to talk about there in case he doesn't.

Scheiner played both OF and 1b more than 3b this year and I'm sure there's a reason. I'll be watching as well to see if they put him at 3b more often or have given up on his defense there. Because Scheiner and Shenton are the only ones that have shown good Corner infield offensive profiles.

Don't forget Milkar Perez, he had 100% of his play at 3b as a 17 year old in DSL and hit pretty well. Him Marte and Clase hopefully rise somewhat together and quicker than we're used to Latin players moving here before Julio. Not that I think they'll rise as quickly as Julio. I'd be tempted to put him at 2nd most likely at 3b already as only Shenton above him combined both offensive and defensive prowess that seem secure enough for their level.

I don't know enough about most of the DSL players to have a strong opinion. Marte has stood out, and has always been highly touted, so he's a little different. The rest, I'll wait and see what they do in the States before I start considering them really. They are all 4-5 years away anyway.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Wishhiker

Post by Wishhiker » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:51 pm
I could swear I said Lookout Landing
This time... still no link

Wishhiker

Post by Wishhiker » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 pm
Wishhiker wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:01 pm
Juliooooo wrote:

I don't know enough about most of the DSL players to have a strong opinion. Marte has stood out, and has always been highly touted, so he's a little different. The rest, I'll wait and see what they do in the States before I start considering them really. They are all 4-5 years away anyway.
I'd say 2-6 years in this system now or they're unlikely to at all. What might hold back Marte is his defense. Clase is more advanced defensively and on the bases but might struggle more with the bat. Being CF and SS(2b?) makes the bat less important.

I've read and seen much less on Perez but it's all been positive for his age and level, similar to the other 2.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Wishhiker wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:07 pm

I'd say 2-6 years in this system now or they're unlikely to at all. What might hold back Marte is his defense. Clase is more advanced defensively and on the bases but might struggle more with the bat. Being CF and SS(2b?) makes the bat less important.

I've read and seen much less on Perez but it's all been positive for his age and level, similar to the other 2.
Marte will get next year at SS. If he can't handle it defensively, he probably moves to CF. He definitely has the speed for OF, but if he can stick in the middle infield, that would be ideal.