Dr Naysay wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 am
Wishhiker wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:01 pm
Dr Naysay wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:51 pm
I could swear I said Lookout Landing
This time... still no link
Dude I put up originally it was from Lookout landing if you want a link just ask for one minus the dig. My comment was just about Honeyman which is why I put a quote that referenced the part just about him and said it was from Lookout Landing.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019/9/9 ... ia-power-a
Wishhikers post is a good point for all of us really. People should put a link whenever they reference something.

Had I simply linked to the fangraphs page when I compared 1B's at 150 PA, it would have saved a lot of grief if those interested could have followed a link.

Probably when quoting an article or web page we should get used to doing the right thing and linking to it.

Plus, I've heard crosslinking websites can help Google rank website searches. Who knows, MarinerTalk could even show up in search results someday if we link :lol: :)

Juliooooo

Re: Minor League Updates

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 pm

I know there have been some articles quoted that are from pay sites. Would adding the link to those articles make Orr more likely those sites find out about it? I know they don't want their information quoted in message boards like that. Right now this site is probably under the radar a bit as far as that goes though.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Wishhiker

Post by Wishhiker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:58 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 pm
I know there have been some articles quoted that are from pay sites. Would adding the link to those articles make Orr more likely those sites find out about it? I know they don't want their information quoted in message boards like that. Right now this site is probably under the radar a bit as far as that goes though.
Generally unless you're straight copying the whole article it is viewed as good for them. If you copy every M's article from the Athletic or something we may be happy but they would not. Seattle times types are pay but you still get free articles per month. Still probably shouldn't quote entire pieces from newspapers with any regularity out of respect. Just grab the pertinent paragraph or 2 that you're riffing off of. I've never heard of a place having issues with that.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:20 am

Wishhiker wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:58 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 pm
Generally unless you're straight copying the whole article it is viewed as good for them. If you copy every M's article from the Athletic or something we may be happy but they would not. Seattle times types are pay but you still get free articles per month. Still probably shouldn't quote entire pieces from newspapers with any regularity out of respect. Just grab the pertinent paragraph or 2 that you're riffing off of. I've never heard of a place having issues with that.
I know. We've had full articles quoted here, which has been enjoyable, but probably won't fly long term. Don't know if it's being a problem yet for the site owner or moderator. Just something to be aware of.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 am

I spend almost $600 a year for the Times which had zero impact on them dedicating an ounce of resources to eradicating the spam from our forum. so if I want to post every centimeter of their copy to every website in the solar system I shall do so with zero guilt.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:30 am

So you think the Times would allow prostitution counterfeit currency drug dealing and fake passports on their very own website yet they're going to go search out to obscure websites that are followed by less than 50 people to see if they're articles are being involved with copyright infringement. Now that is the funniest fucking thing I've ever heard in my life. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dt

Wishhiker

Post by Wishhiker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:42 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:30 am
So you think the Times would allow prostitution counterfeit currency drug dealing and fake passports on their very own website yet they're going to go search out to obscure websites that are followed by less than 50 people to see if they're articles are being involved with copyright infringement. Now that is the funniest fucking thing I've ever heard in my life. :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, you can read all the articles you want per month anyway. There's several tricks to get around the max, multiple devices being the easiest. Tablet phone and computer, different browsers, clear cache, change ID...I wouldn't worry about the newspapers, just wouldn't do it out of respect. If you don't respect them, that's up to you.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:58 am

D-train wrote:
I'm more worried about another website that had been quoted and is generally much higher quality writing.

Wishhiker

Post by Wishhiker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:58 am
D-train wrote:
I'm more worried about another website that had been quoted and is generally much higher quality writing.
BP? only one truly behind paywall I've seen anything from in my first week.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 am

Wishhiker wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:58 am
D-train wrote:
BP? only one truly behind paywall I've seen anything from in my first week.
No. The Athletic.