Re: trade deadline looming France, Lewis, and Haniger returning

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:20 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:02 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:31 pm
Actually Jerry did say that. Just didn't follow through.

Where in that statement did it say they are going to get someone? Looks to me like they were looking into of they could get someone and what it would cost. People talk like he made a statement like "we are gong to absolutely add another TOR starter". No such statement was ever made.

Now did they go cheap? Sure, but it's worked out. They decided they would rather keep their young pitching and all their hitting prospects than trade a bunch of assets for a starter. So far is worked out, and thankfully they have been healthy and performing.
Come on. Do you expect snake oil Jerry to say, "I guarantee will will have another TOR starter or I will resign!" He always gives himself a CYA out with his double speak and non committal generalities.

I agree the rotation has been fine but what has been very unfine is the offense. Going with JK and Frazier and DH lunacy was a massive mistake as was making Romo for $2M your only investment in the pen. And thus we are still under .500 after going 11-3 vs. mostly bad teams.
No, and he didn't say that, but people keep saying he did. That's the point.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:33 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:14 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:20 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:02 pm

Where in that statement did it say they are going to get someone? Looks to me like they were looking into of they could get someone and what it would cost. People talk like he made a statement like "we are gong to absolutely add another TOR starter". No such statement was ever made.

Now did they go cheap? Sure, but it's worked out. They decided they would rather keep their young pitching and all their hitting prospects than trade a bunch of assets for a starter. So far is worked out, and thankfully they have been healthy and performing.
Come on. Do you expect snake oil Jerry to say, "I guarantee will will have another TOR starter or I will resign!" He always gives himself a CYA out with his double speak and non committal generalities.

I agree the rotation has been fine but what has been very unfine is the offense. Going with JK and Frazier and DH lunacy was a massive mistake as was making Romo for $2M your only investment in the pen. And thus we are still under .500 after going 11-3 vs. mostly bad teams.
No, and he didn't say that, but people keep saying he did. That's the point.
That's just semantics. They said they were interesting in/going after/whatever a TOR and once they understood the price they bailed.

They didn't finish the job with the rotation, the pen and the lineup and hoped for the best. One of the three worked out and here we are.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:34 pm

I think Jerry's #1 priority is Jerry. The longer he can slow play it, the longer he will have a job. If he goes all in and trades prospects and jacks up the payroll and fails he will get fired. As long as they can be somewhat competitive and he still has dry power then he keeps his job.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:41 pm

Didn't realize Anderson took a no hitter into the 9th inning. That hadn't impacted my second guessing but now it does lol, why didn't they bring him back, what a bunch of losers.

He actually lost it in the 7th, see that? A scoring change a week later. What if he had pitched a no hitter, would they have taken it away from him a week later? That would have been crazy

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:34 pm
I think Jerry's #1 priority is Jerry. The longer he can slow play it, the longer he will have a job. If he goes all in and trades prospects and jacks up the payroll and fails he will get fired. As long as they can be somewhat competitive and he still has dry power then he keeps his job.
Come on, that's a little over the top. Like I said, they are playing a long game but there is more to it than just dipotos job security. I think it plays to the interests of the of team management as well

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:50 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:41 pm
Didn't realize Anderson took a no hitter into the 9th inning. That hadn't impacted my second guessing but now it does lol, why didn't they bring him back, what a bunch of losers.

He actually lost it in the 7th, see that? A scoring change a week later. What if he had pitched a no hitter, would they have taken it away from him a week later? That would have been crazy
He was pretty good for us but was horrible 2 of his last three starts in the most critical games of the season. I was fine we let him walk. Who knew what he was going to do for the Dodgers and if he would do the same here.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:50 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:45 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:34 pm
Come on, that's a little over the top. Like I said, they are playing a long game but there is more to it than just dipotos job security. I think it plays to the interests of the of team management as well
Sure, both imo.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:50 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:41 pm

He was pretty good for us but was horrible 2 of his last three starts in the most critical games of the season. I was fine we let him walk. Who knew what he was going to do for the Dodgers and if he would do the same here.
Sure, he was pitching on short rest, and then demanded the ball again and made up for it. Actually I thought how he ended the season showed guts.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:05 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:35 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:18 am
If this season were a game of poker the Mariners called a couple bets, but they sure didn't push all in.

They could have done way, way more. Instead they called it good with a rookie in the #5 SP spot who has since been made a reliever, and a backup catcher as the DH leaving us way light on depth.

Was obvious they could have done more = they didn't try hard enough to make the playoffs.
I am just fine with that #5 Brash he has great stuff he just can't keep it in the zone. But Kirby can and he is right at a 100 ERA+ after he got lit up 2 starts ago and added a run to his ERA.

The truth is I don't see a lot of holes if they are relatively healthy. (Spare an elite left-handed BP guy)
And that's the problem. This team keeps the guys who are "good enough", and fails to add the guys that would make us better.

ERA+
Ray: 102
Gilbert: 138
Flexen: 92
Kirby: 99
Marco: 114

Meanwhile:
Rodon: 145

Letting Kirby and Flexen (and Marco) in the rotation blocks a better pitcher from being in it. It's not rocket science.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:10 pm

Here was the biggest problem. On opening day, everyone that was expected to be healthy was healthy and our DH had a OPS+ of 71 last season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 4080.shtml
dt