Stone on the debacle

D-train

Re: Stone on the debacle

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:16 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:05 pm
bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:04 pm
Servais and Dipoto got cute at the wrong time.

Don't stick with what got you here, no, use your $100M man as a reliever for the first time.... makes sense...
What got them there was Munoz and Seawald. That's what they went with. After those 2 screwed up, they were down to an emergency option.
Calling Swanson an emergency option is complete insanity. He was our SECOND best reliever this season in terms of WAR BARELY behind Munoz at 1.7 WAR. Over 1 full WAR better than anyone else. He had the BEST FIP on the team. He was better than Ray vs. Lefties and he didn't just suck three days prior. AND he is a Reliever who is used to coming out of the pen. :shock:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=18,a
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:16 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:15 pm
bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:13 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:12 pm

The plan was for Munoz and Seawald to get the job done before the top of the order came up. After that it was plan B.
And Plan B wasn't the guys who did it all season, it was your $100M poorly performing starter. Makes sense.....
Guys they didn't ask to perform in similar situations all season either. They didn't want to have to use any of them.
Well that was sure stupid, wasn't it. They had a day off, what a bunch of assclowns.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:17 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:16 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:05 pm
bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:04 pm
Servais and Dipoto got cute at the wrong time.

Don't stick with what got you here, no, use your $100M man as a reliever for the first time.... makes sense...
What got them there was Munoz and Seawald. That's what they went with. After those 2 screwed up, they were down to an emergency option.
Calling Swanson an emergency option is complete insanity. He was our SECOND best reliever this season in terms of WAR BARELY behind Munoz at 1.7 WAR. Over 1 full WAR better than anyone else. He had the BEST FIP on the team. He was better than Ray vs. Lefties and he didn't just suck three days prior. AND he is a Reliever who is used to coming out of the pen. :shock:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=18,a
For whatever reason, they hardly ever used him as a high leverage guy this year. Should they have, maybe, but they didn't, and to ask him to do it in that situation is not the same as the situations he faced all year.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:17 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:14 pm
bpj wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:09 pm

The right answer was to avoid Alvarez. Munoz and Seawald screwed up to put them in that situation.
Why are you sucking Ray and Servais off?

Munoz and Sewald effed up, then Servais and Ray effed up. It's not an exclusive club of suckage, they all belong.
I'm not sucking them off. It was a joint effort to lose that game, and I'm not putting it all on Servais and Ray.
NOBODY IS!!!!
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:20 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:14 pm
bpj wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:09 pm

The right answer was to avoid Alvarez. Munoz and Seawald screwed up to put them in that situation.
Why are you sucking Ray and Servais off?

Munoz and Sewald effed up, then Servais and Ray effed up. It's not an exclusive club of suckage, they all belong.
I'm not sucking them off. It was a joint effort to lose that game, and I'm not putting it all on Servais and Ray.
Munoz and Sewald get blame too. But that is just baseball even the most elite will have an off day now and then. There is a difference between things not going your way on the field and making boneheaded decisions. If you run your best out there and you get beat it is what it is. you don't like it but you live with it. Sticking A struggling starter who has never pitched out of the bullpen into that situation on 2 days rest when you have elite bullpen arms you can go to is just stupidity and was entirely avoidable to anyone with an ounce of baseball acumen.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:21 pm

Michael K. wrote:
bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:08 pm

There wasn't really a "right" answer against Alvarez.

But, turns out there was a "wrong" answer, and that was putting your starting pitcher in as a reliever for the first time in that situation.
So again, what would we be saying if Swanson gave up the dinger? SS shouldn't have put him in.

What if we walked the guy and left Sewald in and it didn't work. It would have been why the fuck did SS do that? Walk the winning run!?

What if we went to Boyd and he got lit up? Why the fuck did he pitch the guy that hasn't pitched in a week and is a young guy?

Again, Munoz and Sewald are paid to do far better than they did. In hindsight, do I wish he would have put in someone besides Ray? Maybe, but, I also wish he wouldn't have thrown back to back pitches that were basically the same pitch. I would have loved it if he went four seem up, or slider in the dirt, or something out of the zone. The way he attacked that middle in low fastball? He was looking for it. Blow one more by him, a four seem up? I bet he swings. Maybe he does hit it, but if he doesn't? Now it's 0 and 2.

But, what I really wish? Is the two fuckers paid good money to come out of the bullpen hadn't blown the fucking game before we even got to his point.
Boyd is a 8 year vet. Swanson only had 5 days off, something relievers have multiple times during the season. Of course there would have been a few idiots that second guess no matter what but that is nothing to second guess.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:21 pm

Juliooooo wrote:

Guys they didn't ask to perform in similar situations all season either. They didn't want to have to use any of them.
Yep, and if he went to them and they choked? Same shit, why did SS ask guys to do things they aren't normally asked to do? Same as Ray. The game was exactly how they wanted it. Two late inning relievers shit the bed, end of story. Maybe we should have had one guy be the Closer all year? But that is an organizational decision, probably not an SS decision.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:21 pm

Michael K. wrote:
bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:08 pm

There wasn't really a "right" answer against Alvarez.

But, turns out there was a "wrong" answer, and that was putting your starting pitcher in as a reliever for the first time in that situation.
So again, what would we be saying if Swanson gave up the dinger? SS shouldn't have put him in.

What if we walked the guy and left Sewald in and it didn't work. It would have been why the fuck did SS do that? Walk the winning run!?

What if we went to Boyd and he got lit up? Why the fuck did he pitch the guy that hasn't pitched in a week and is a young guy?

Again, Munoz and Sewald are paid to do far better than they did. In hindsight, do I wish he would have put in someone besides Ray? Maybe, but, I also wish he wouldn't have thrown back to back pitches that were basically the same pitch. I would have loved it if he went four seem up, or slider in the dirt, or something out of the zone. The way he attacked that middle in low fastball? He was looking for it. Blow one more by him, a four seem up? I bet he swings. Maybe he does hit it, but if he doesn't? Now it's 0 and 2.

But, what I really wish? Is the two fuckers paid good money to come out of the bullpen hadn't blown the fucking game before we even got to his point.
The one thing nobody would have asked is, "Why didn't you put in Ray, who hasn't been very good as a starting pitcher, to face one of the games toughest lefties in his first relief outing?"

Swanson and Boyd are down there exactly for situations like that. But, Dippy and Servais thought they were smarter than everybody else, and here we are.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:17 pm

NOBODY IS!!!!
Really? Because it feels to me like what I am reading is all it would have taken was for SS to put in different pitchers and non of this would have happened. That was my point, fine, fall in love with Boyd and Swanson, but what would we all be saying if he did and the results were the same? The blame, IMO, in here? SS.

This place acts like the Manager loses games and players win game. Blows me away. Sewald does his job, no one is in here praising SS. Sewald DOESN'T do his job? The blame is on the guy that asked him to. Dumb, IMO.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:26 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:23 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:17 pm

NOBODY IS!!!!
Really? Because it feels to me like what I am reading is all it would have taken was for SS to put in different pitchers and non of this would have happened. That was my point, fine, fall in love with Boyd and Swanson, but what would we all be saying if he did and the results were the same? The blame, IMO, in here? SS.

This place acts like the Manager loses games and players win game. Blows me away. Sewald does his job, no one is in here praising SS. Sewald DOESN'T do his job? The blame is on the guy that asked him to. Dumb, IMO.
Ray wasn't doing his job, because it's not his job.

Get it?