QB Anthony Richardson
19%
CB Devon Witherspoon
No votes
Edge/OLB Tyree Wilson
11%
Edge/DE Myles Murphy
No votes
Trade Down (Please feel free to write-in your TD pick)
11%

Total votes: 27

Cascade Kid

Re: Who's Your Pick At #5

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:34 am

ddraig wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:46 am
We release Al Woods today. Looking like we'll be interested in Carter at #5, maybe also a big DE/Edge at #20.
I don't think releasing 36 year old Woods sharpened our interest in Carter or any other DT anymore than it had been. There are 4 good NTs in this draft in Siaka Ika, Mazi Smith, Keondre Coburn, and Jerrod Clark.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:37 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:34 am
ddraig wrote:
We release Al Woods today. Looking like we'll be interested in Carter at #5, maybe also a big DE/Edge at #20.
I don't think releasing 36 year old Woods sharpened our interest in Carter or any other DT anymore than it had been. There are 4 good NTs in this draft in Siaka Ika, Mazi Smith, Keondre Coburn, and Jerrod Clark.
Mazi Smith is an athletic, powerful nose tackle who could be the heir-apparent to Al Woods.

I still think the key to Seattle’s draft is Arizona’s decision at #3. I don’t think they’re going to get an attractive enough offer to move down (unless the Colts basically flip picks at #4). Do they take Tyree Wilson instead of Will Anderson, as projected by Daniel Jeremiah? Wilson is arguably a better scheme fit for Jonathan Gannon but Anderson is the culture re-setter the Cardinals need.

If C.J. Stroud, Bryce Young and Will Levis are the first quarterbacks off the board — which I think is increasingly likely — my prediction continues to be it’ll come down to Anthony Richardson at #5 or Will Anderson if the Cardinals pass on him. I think the Seahawks would take Anderson in that scenario because he’s an ideal scheme fit, he’s an A+ alpha and he can be someone you build around on defense. I don’t think he’s a special talent but he can be a very good player and it would be a safe pick for Seattle.

If that happened, they would likely — in my opinion — push the quarterback situation into the future and embrace a scenario where they have to go fishing for middle-tier options in from 2024. Or they could look at Hendon Hooker, who has some serious fans in the scouting community.

If Anderson is gone and they take Richardson, they will have to address their defensive line in the #20, #38, #53 range, possibly with two picks. Those options will dry up otherwise. If they want an ‘edge’ type they could pivot to Will McDonald instead (he had been training with B.T. Jordan) or they could wait to tap into the depth later. The interior D-line options will run out quickly.

Jalen Carter will not be an option for the Seahawks in round one. I don’t like writing stuff like this because typically you set yourself up for a fall. On this occasion, I am 100% confident. Carter will not be a first rounder for Seattle.

I’m also not convinced Tyree Wilson is a scheme fit. It will depend on testing whether they believe he can play as a bigger OLB/EDGE.

I think what they’ve done so far pretty much sets up the scenario I’m talking about at #5. They haven’t signed another ‘edge’ rusher. They do have Uchenna Nwosu, Boye Mafe and Darrell Taylor but there’s room for one more and Nwosu is a free agent next year. I also think the quarterback situation lends itself perfectly to Richardson.

I don’t know why anyone thought the Drew Lock signing made a QB pick less likely. The whole point with Richardson is he needs to sit for a year. That means a redshirt, not being the backup. Not being a play away from starting at any point in 2023.

You were always going to need a backup quarterback if your plan was to draft Richardson, so he can have his proper redshirt season. Lock, on a cheap one-year contract with minimal guarantees, is perfect. He knows the offense, he knows the team. He can start if Geno Smith gets hurt without the rookie needing to ruin his redshirt season.

Meanwhile Smith’s contract is perfectly structured to move on when the new quarterback is ready, whenever that is. They’ve set-up the ideal situation — the Alex Smith-to-Patrick Mahomes crossover.

I’ve also seen it argued that they can’t justify spending so much on the quarterback position to have someone like Richardson sit for a year. Really? They are literally paying Quandre Diggs and Jamal Adams $36m. On top of that, they’ve now added Julian Love and retained Ryan Neal. Are we honestly going to try and suggest you can pay well over $40m for the safety position but can’t carry a redshirt rookie contract at the most important position in football? That’s ridiculous.

The table has been set for either Anderson or Richardson at #5. Personally, I’d be happy with either.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:44 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:23 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:33 pm
Interesting to learn that Bryce Young does not have danty little hands for being all of about 5'10". His hand measures 9-3/4" (58%). Makes me feel that he could throw well in our weather.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Bry ... QB-Alabama
It’s top-heavy at quarterback. The top-four are assured to go in the top-10, I’m led to believe, with a strong chance four go in the top-five. Hendon Hooker might join the group due to the attraction of the fifth year option, although he’d likely be a late first rounder. Then, there’s no middle tier. All of the middle-tier quarterbacks returned to school. If you’re thinking Seattle can take a flier on someone in the middle rounds, no dice I’m afraid. I have two players in the fourth round but that’s purely because the arm talent is decent. They’re both about 190lbs. There’s not a lot of potential to start in the NFL.
I agree with you 100%. I don't believe there's a NFL QB starter below Hooker, so no, I'm not thinking there's anyone worth wasting a pick on; not Haener, not Hall, not Clayton, and not even Tanner McKee.

I predict 4 QBs go in the first 7 picks, maybe in the first five. I just don't know if the Hawks would take Levis if Anderson is at 5, but I do think they will pick at 5. However, if best available is Levis and Carter at #5 I can see a trade going down for a 2024 first-rounder package.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:46 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:44 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:23 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:33 pm
Interesting to learn that Bryce Young does not have danty little hands for being all of about 5'10". His hand measures 9-3/4" (58%). Makes me feel that he could throw well in our weather.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Bry ... QB-Alabama
It’s top-heavy at quarterback. The top-four are assured to go in the top-10, I’m led to believe, with a strong chance four go in the top-five. Hendon Hooker might join the group due to the attraction of the fifth year option, although he’d likely be a late first rounder. Then, there’s no middle tier. All of the middle-tier quarterbacks returned to school. If you’re thinking Seattle can take a flier on someone in the middle rounds, no dice I’m afraid. I have two players in the fourth round but that’s purely because the arm talent is decent. They’re both about 190lbs. There’s not a lot of potential to start in the NFL.
I agree with you 100%. I don't believe there's a NFL QB starter below Hooker, so no, I'm not thinking there's anyone worth wasting a pick on; not Haener, not Hall, not Clayton, and not even Tanner McKee.

I predict 4 QBs go in the first 7 picks, maybe in the first five. I just don't know if the Hawks would take Levis if Anderson is at 5, but I do think they will pick at 5. However, if best available is Levis and Carter at #5 I can see a trade going down for a 2024 first-rounder package.
It all comes down to scheme fit and who John Schneider has fallen in love with. 5th overall picks in the first round don't come along very often when you're a consistent playoff team. So you've got to make the selection really count. We can't miss!

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:02 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:37 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
ddraig wrote:
Mazi Smith is an athletic, powerful nose tackle who could be the heir-apparent to Al Woods.

I still think the key to Seattle’s draft is Arizona’s decision at #3. I don’t think they’re going to get an attractive enough offer to move down (unless the Colts basically flip picks at #4). Do they take Tyree Wilson instead of Will Anderson, as projected by Daniel Jeremiah? Wilson is arguably a better scheme fit for Jonathan Gannon but Anderson is the culture re-setter the Cardinals need.

If C.J. Stroud, Bryce Young and Will Levis are the first quarterbacks off the board — which I think is increasingly likely — my prediction continues to be it’ll come down to Anthony Richardson at #5 or Will Anderson if the Cardinals pass on him. I think the Seahawks would take Anderson in that scenario because he’s an ideal scheme fit, he’s an A+ alpha and he can be someone you build around on defense. I don’t think he’s a special talent but he can be a very good player and it would be a safe pick for Seattle.

If that happened, they would likely — in my opinion — push the quarterback situation into the future and embrace a scenario where they have to go fishing for middle-tier options in from 2024. Or they could look at Hendon Hooker, who has some serious fans in the scouting community.

If Anderson is gone and they take Richardson, they will have to address their defensive line in the #20, #38, #53 range, possibly with two picks. Those options will dry up otherwise. If they want an ‘edge’ type they could pivot to Will McDonald instead (he had been training with B.T. Jordan) or they could wait to tap into the depth later. The interior D-line options will run out quickly.

Jalen Carter will not be an option for the Seahawks in round one. I don’t like writing stuff like this because typically you set yourself up for a fall. On this occasion, I am 100% confident. Carter will not be a first rounder for Seattle.

I’m also not convinced Tyree Wilson is a scheme fit. It will depend on testing whether they believe he can play as a bigger OLB/EDGE.

I think what they’ve done so far pretty much sets up the scenario I’m talking about at #5. They haven’t signed another ‘edge’ rusher. They do have Uchenna Nwosu, Boye Mafe and Darrell Taylor but there’s room for one more and Nwosu is a free agent next year. I also think the quarterback situation lends itself perfectly to Richardson.

I don’t know why anyone thought the Drew Lock signing made a QB pick less likely. The whole point with Richardson is he needs to sit for a year. That means a redshirt, not being the backup. Not being a play away from starting at any point in 2023.

You were always going to need a backup quarterback if your plan was to draft Richardson, so he can have his proper redshirt season. Lock, on a cheap one-year contract with minimal guarantees, is perfect. He knows the offense, he knows the team. He can start if Geno Smith gets hurt without the rookie needing to ruin his redshirt season.

Meanwhile Smith’s contract is perfectly structured to move on when the new quarterback is ready, whenever that is. They’ve set-up the ideal situation — the Alex Smith-to-Patrick Mahomes crossover.

I’ve also seen it argued that they can’t justify spending so much on the quarterback position to have someone like Richardson sit for a year. Really? They are literally paying Quandre Diggs and Jamal Adams $36m. On top of that, they’ve now added Julian Love and retained Ryan Neal. Are we honestly going to try and suggest you can pay well over $40m for the safety position but can’t carry a redshirt rookie contract at the most important position in football? That’s ridiculous.

The table has been set for either Anderson or Richardson at #5. Personally, I’d be happy with either.
It will be interesting to see what the Cardinals will do at #3. They have a new DC but there hasn't been much movement since Rallis' hiring.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:17 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:02 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Cascade Kid wrote:

It will be interesting to see what the Cardinals will do at #3. They have a new DC but there hasn't been much movement since Rallis' hiring.
I can't imagine a trade scenario between Seattle and Arizona and them gifting us the QB of our future. Their fanbase would never let them live it down.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:05 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
[

You are arguing that because they are over spending at another position, they can over spend at QB?

I agree about Anderson though.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:17 pm

Police were considering more serious charges with Carter, I think that guy got a real break. And I think you have to consider the Hawks taking him at five a possibility.
Police discovered visual evidence including, "scrapes on the roof of Carter's car, which they said were consistent with hitting power lines that fell as the [Ford] Expedition crashed," the AJC report notes.

An officer in the case said they believed the marks on the roof of Carter's car "indicated to me that he was almost right next to the other vehicle when it crashed," according to the report

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:36 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:05 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
[

You are arguing that because they are over spending at another position, they can over spend at QB?

I agree about Anderson though.
Just that it's justifiable to what they are spending at safety, they could easily afford to let a QB like Richardson sit for a year if they wished to do so. I think there are multiple plan's of action. Not one solid solution or direct path. As of right now I think they lean towards Anderson or Richardson if the board fell as I predicted. I think Carter will drop into the teens. Someone will eventually scoop him up. I'm just glad it won't be us.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:37 pm

Carter won't get past the Raiders