Breaking!!!!!!!!! Big 10 bound!!!!!!!!!!

gil

Re: Breaking!!!!!!!!! Big 10 bound!!!!!!!!!!

Post by gil » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:28 pm

I don't think UW (or Oregon) has a strong case AGAINST joining the Big 10 at this point.

But it is odd for me, having grown up in the Midwest and always doing my best to see the Rose Bowl each January 1. I'd root for the Big 10 team, against the likes of UW, UCLA, or USC. But, damn, the images of the January 1 weather eventually drew me West.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:16 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:09 pm
I suspect that there will be a west division with
UW
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Nothwestern

We will likely still play the apple cup as a non conference game every year.

This means that we will now be playing UCLA and USC every year instead 2 out of 3 or whatever it has been in the Pac 12. And basically we are replacing Oregon State, Cal and Stanford with Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin as yearly games. That is a huge upgrade in my opinion.
I don't think any one is going to cry about not playing the Arizona Schools or Utah when we get regularly rotated games with The likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc instead. Sure we will have to play an occasional game against Rutgers or Indiana but that's not any worse than playing Colorado or Arizona like we have been doing.

Really the only thing I wish was different in this scenario is Cal in the Big instead of UCLA. Would have been nice to keep the bay area market and that historic university in our conference.
Yep, I love it. We are now in one of the top 2 conferences instead of the little ugly sister of the Power 5.
Yay, maybe we will be the Minnesota of the west.

trharder

Post by trharder » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:23 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:09 pm
I hope those exclamation points denote concern rather than enthusiasm. UW will be a 2nd tier team in the Big Ten for at least the next 5 years as they had to settle for half the money the rest of the schools including USC and UCLA will be getting paid. And who the fuck is excited about playing games against Rutgers, Northwestern, Indiana, Minnesota, etc.? Fuck that.
And fuck Larry Scott for destroying a hundred year old institution. Hope he rots in hell.
Well said.
The pac-12 network was a failed piece of shit from the beginning. I feel like that's what drove the conference off the cliff.
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure UW and OR will look very tough against Iowa and them. We'll see about that I guess.

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:03 am

What's good about ruining college football?
Congratulations, they've formed a minor league system for the NFL at the expense of tradition.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:02 am

I hope those exclamation points denote concern rather than enthusiasm. UW will be a 2nd tier team in the Big Ten for at least the next 5 years as they had to settle for half the money the rest of the schools including USC and UCLA will be getting paid. And who the fuck is excited about playing games against Rutgers, Northwestern, Indiana, Minnesota, etc.? Fuck that.

And fuck Larry Scott for destroying a hundred year old institution. Hope he rots in hell.
I approve this message. The Pac was managed to its own demise.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:00 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:09 pm
I suspect that there will be a west division with
UW
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Nothwestern

We will likely still play the apple cup as a non conference game every year.

This means that we will now be playing UCLA and USC every year instead 2 out of 3 or whatever it has been in the Pac 12. And basically we are replacing Oregon State, Cal and Stanford with Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin as yearly games. That is a huge upgrade in my opinion.
I don't think any one is going to cry about not playing the Arizona Schools or Utah when we get regularly rotated games with The likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc instead. Sure we will have to play an occasional game against Rutgers or Indiana but that's not any worse than playing Colorado or Arizona like we have been doing.

Really the only thing I wish was different in this scenario is Cal in the Big instead of UCLA. Would have been nice to keep the bay area market and that historic university in our conference.
If we could add Stanford that would be at least 1/2 the orginal pac 10 and just Omitting the 2 weak sisters OSU, WAZZU (it pains me to write that) and ASU, AZ, Cal

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:33 am

trharder wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:23 pm
Well said.
The pac-12 network was a failed piece of shit from the beginning. I feel like that's what drove the conference off the cliff.
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure UW and OR will look very tough against Iowa and them. We'll see about that I guess.
WTF??? The Huskies finished the season ranked 8th and were 11-2. Iowa got 4 votes which is 35th. They were 8-5.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/ ... ated-press

You guys sound like leftist, defeatists embracing victimhood, afraid to play with the big boys. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:35 am

Maybe the Husky football team should identify as woman and try to beat Michigan's softball volleyball team...lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:52 am

But despite the discounts, and despite looming logistical headaches associated with arduous cross-country travel,
:lol:

Direct flight from Seattle to Tucson, 3 hours and 8 minutes.

Direct flight from Seattle to Chicago, 3 hours and 52 minutes.

My God how are these poor 18-22 year football players going to survive being on an airplane and additional 44 minutes EVERY year???

You can probably reduce their life expectancy down from 80 years down to about 57 years......all for MONEY!!!!! :lol:
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:11 pm

My issue isn't with travel, where did you get that? It's about playing a bunch of teams that we have no history with.

Yep, money and winning is all that matters. Screw tradition and rivalries and continuity.

And no, the Apple Cup will not survive this either.