Breaking!!!!!!!!! Big 10 bound!!!!!!!!!!

Captain 97

Re: Breaking!!!!!!!!! Big 10 bound!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:30 pm

Anyone have access to the athletic?

https://theathletic.com/4752122/2023/08 ... -schedule/

Apparently the Big 10 had spent a bunch of time developing a schedule which had no divisions but protected rivalries and ensured that you had at least one road game against every team in the conference over a 4 year span. now they have to throw that all out the window. I wonder if they will try to keep a similar concept or if they will have no choice but to go to a division format now.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:34 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:07 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:11 pm
My issue isn't with travel, where did you get that? It's about playing a bunch of teams that we have no history with.

Yep, money and winning is all that matters. Screw tradition and rivalries and continuity.

And no, the Apple Cup will not survive this either.
Iowa State and Iowa play every year and they have never been in the same conference. The Apple Cup is going no where.
Iowa and Iowa St are both in power 5 conferences with power 5 coaching staffs and power 5 recruiting classes.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:41 am

Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:34 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:07 pm
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:11 pm
My issue isn't with travel, where did you get that? It's about playing a bunch of teams that we have no history with.

Yep, money and winning is all that matters. Screw tradition and rivalries and continuity.

And no, the Apple Cup will not survive this either.
Iowa State and Iowa play every year and they have never been in the same conference. The Apple Cup is going no where.
Iowa and Iowa St are both in power 5 conferences with power 5 coaching staffs and power 5 recruiting classes.
Iowa and Iowa State did not play each other in football for 42 seasons before renewing the rivalry in 1977 when this poster was in attendance as part of a bachelor party. The schools have faced each other every year since.

With the Beavers left hanging this will be an interesting year to study the business of sports at Oregon State University:

https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online- ... -business/

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:20 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:33 am
WTF??? The Huskies finished the season ranked 8th and were 11-2. Iowa got 4 votes which is 35th. They were 8-5.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/ ... ated-press
You guys sound like leftist, defeatists embracing victimhood, afraid to play with the big boys. lol
I'm not a you guy. I hate the fucking Huskies and the UW. I was trying to be nice.
UW now thinks they've stepped up to a better table. What they don't know is they were invited to be the main course.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:58 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:52 am
But despite the discounts, and despite looming logistical headaches associated with arduous cross-country travel,
:lol:

Direct flight from Seattle to Tucson, 3 hours and 8 minutes.

Direct flight from Seattle to Chicago, 3 hours and 52 minutes.

My God how are these poor 18-22 year football players going to survive being on an airplane and additional 44 minutes EVERY year???

You can probably reduce their life expectancy down from 80 years down to about 57 years......all for MONEY!!!!! :lol:
The travel issue is usually being brought up to complain about the effect for the other sports. The Softball one is odd to me, as they usually play three game series. I read one coach complaining about the kids having to fly home and go to class. They play Friday, Saturday and Sunday...or Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I highly doubt they play Sunday games late in the day, they sure don't now. The West Coast teams flying back actually gain time on Sunday before they go to bed...so the complaining about travel from people on this side of the state is strange to me. They will be flying home at around 1 pm Pacific Time.

Travel for Basketball could be an issue, but even then they usually have road swings were they play a game on Thursday night and then again on Saturday or Sunday. Maybe the Big 10s schedule is a bit different? To me? The only gripe that I would buy into here, as far as athletics go, is the Pac 12 is actually BETTER in softball. That said, three of the best over the past decade or more have been Oregon, UCLA and Washington. So I guess the Big 10 is happy with that. But besides occasionally Michigan, the Big 10 doesn't make much noise Nationally. Losing the Arizona schools, Cal, Stanford and Utah might actually hurt Oregon, UW and UCLA's strength of schedule in that sport. But, I digress. Again, I think the travel issue was with the sports not called Football. And even then? I think the current Big 10 schools will suffer more from the travel then the schools out West.

I did think I read somewhere that if a West Coast team travels East for football, they won't schedule the game before 3:30 Eastern...so it is simply a 12:30 kickoff here. Be fucking nice as a fan to watch a game or two during the damn day. I bet we get more Husky home games during the day as well. They sure as shit aren't going to be having the Michigan and Ohio State fans having to tune in at 9, 10 or 11 PM to watch their beloved Wolverines or Fuckeyes!

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:38 pm

Cal and Stanford are now in talks with the ACC. How ridiculous would that be?

And there was a guest on KJR yesterday who said there's a chance the Big 12 and ACC could merge. That would then be a 30-32 team conference. :shock:

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:52 pm

Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:38 pm
Cal and Stanford are now in talks with the ACC. How ridiculous would that be?

And there was a guest on KJR yesterday who said there's a chance the Big 12 and ACC could merge. That would then be a 30-32 team conference. :shock:
How would that even work? They would pretty much have to have 4 divisions and hold a semifinals round before the conference championship.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:29 pm

No idea, just heard it from some pundit on the radio. His reasoning was that it made sense for those two conferences to join forces rather than compete against each other for #3..

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:07 am

Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:29 pm
No idea, just heard it from some pundit on the radio. His reasoning was that it made sense for those two conferences to join forces rather than compete against each other for #3..
I actually think it's only a matter of time before the Big 10 and SEC are no longer even a member of the NCAA. What benefit does the NCAA provide anyway?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:49 am

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:07 am
Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:29 pm
I actually think it's only a matter of time before the Big 10 and SEC are no longer even a member of the NCAA. What benefit does the NCAA provide anyway?
Help dudes compete against female athletes?
dt